News Feed Discussions Exercise after Lap surgery for an inguinal hernia

• Exercise after Lap surgery for an inguinal hernia

Posted by Mars1954 on August 1, 2019 at 12:34 am

So after having lap surgery for bilateral inguina hernia on the the 15th of July my Dr. told me I can start any kind of exercise routine I wanted after two weeks well at my post op the PA told me I should wait at least Four weeks. My question to forum members that have had similar surgery how long did you wait if you did exercise regularly 2, 4 ,6 weeks or longer Thank you.

Mars1954 replied 4 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Mars1954

August 1, 2019 at 2:41 am
    quote Jim82:

I was very conservative and waited 4 weeks to start light exercises. Elliptical, upper body weights. At 6 weeks added jogging less than 1 mile and physical therapist recommended core exercises then at 12 weeks started my pre-surgery routine which was what most would consider light fitness weightlifting. My doc said to avoid quick movement type sports (basketball, tennis etc) for 6 months.

That pretty much sounds like a timetable that I am planning to use thank you for your response!

• Jim82

August 1, 2019 at 1:52 am

I was very conservative and waited 4 weeks to start light exercises. Elliptical, upper body weights. At 6 weeks added jogging less than 1 mile and physical therapist recommended core exercises then at 12 weeks started my pre-surgery routine which was what most would consider light fitness weightlifting. My doc said to avoid quick movement type sports (basketball, tennis etc) for 6 months.