News Feed Discussions exercise after repair/comphrey root as helper to heal questions/journalism article

Tagged: 

• exercise after repair/comphrey root as helper to heal questions/journalism article

Posted by Dill on August 25, 2019 at 6:39 pm

Hi, All–

Almost two weeks after what seems to be a successful no-mesh surgery with dissolvable sutures (my request). I’ve had little pain, swelling or bruising. I am still taking turmeric and arnica. When I’m allowed to use lotions over the scar I would like to use neosporin and vitamin C. I have been told to except more swelling and tightening in the next couple weeks as the healing ridge develops. I think I have about a 20% chance of reoccurrence with the method I had done, so I am really thinking of ways to lower those odds. One is obviously not to do too much too soon–I’ve been cleared for biking, power walking and swimming with the caveat of listening to my body if it starts hurting stop. I’d love to go back to lifting at least arm weights and stomach exercises. Yoga, oddly is suggested to stay away from for a couple more months. Are there any exercises recommended post surgery to strengthen surrounding muscles. Also comphrey root has been used to bind together bone breaks; I’ve been wondering if using a comphrey poultice and a belt might help. Is anyone working with this? Any other tips?

My final question: I’ve done so much research on this topic and I do write articles for publications if I get interested. I’d love to start interviewing doctors, patients, etc for a hernia repair article that a lay person could read, but I’m drawing a blank on what kind of publication might like such an article. Sports magazines? Any suggestions?

Dill

DrBrown replied 4 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • DrBrown

August 25, 2019 at 7:15 pm

[USER=”2758″]Dill[/USER]
    The rule of thumb is at three weeks you will have about 70% of the final strength of your repair.
    That is plenty to start aerobic exercises.
    At six weeks you will have about 95% of your final strength, so at that point, you can start pushing yourself harder.
    External support (abdominal binder, compression shorts) often helps.
    Topical poultices may make everything feel better, but they will not help the healing.
    I would support you if you decide to write about the benefits of pure tissue repair.
    The recurrence rate you quoted is too high.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD