News Feed Discussions Exercise after Shouldice operation

• Exercise after Shouldice operation

Posted by aj9000 on March 16, 2021 at 6:21 pm

Hi all,

I am having a modified Shouldice to repair an inguinal hernia in a couple of weeks.

I have a daily workout routine (weight lifting, biking/running) that I do to keep blood pressure down.

I’m wondering (1) what kinds of exercise can I do immediately after surgery, and (2) how soon can I go back to my full workout routine exercise?

Concerned because I was able to drop blood pressure meds by increasing exercise and modifying diet, and I don’t want to go back on them after surgery if I can help it.

Thanks!

MarkT replied 8 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • aj9000

March 22, 2021 at 8:30 am

Thanks @thunderrose, that helps. I wonder about stationary biking? In any case, I’ll have a chance to ask him when I go in. Good to know that you were at least able to start some sort of cardio after less than 3 weeks.

• Thunder Rose

March 19, 2021 at 7:38 pm

I was walking 2-3 miles each day starting the day of surgery. I’ve read reviews of Wiese with folks walking ~5 miles right away. I didn’t start running again until 2.5 weeks after surgery. My memory is that Yunis discouraged biking initially (in contradiction to the practice at Shouldice Hospital) and also discouraged squats or dead lifts. I waited until about the 2 month mark for downhill skiing and squats.

• aj9000

March 19, 2021 at 10:36 am

Thanks for replies @drbrown and @mitchtom6. I plan to ask my surgeon what’s reasonable to do and how soon — just thought it would be good to get perspective of some others who exercise regularly and had a pure tissue repair.

@mitchtom6 My lifting regimen is not that intense — some bench press and machine-assisted lifting, but no deadlifts, though I have interest in starting to improve core strength.

Your comment made me Google around a bit. Some others also advise to stop or limit weight when deadlifting, but one of Dr. Sbayi’s Shouldice patients talks about resuming deadlifts (405 lbs) after 6 weeks: https://www.stonybrookmedicine.edu/hernia/resources/shouldice-repair-patient-testimonials

I won’t be doing weight like that probably ever, but it would be good to know how to monitor myself to make sure I’m not going over the limit for my repair.

• mitchtom6

March 19, 2021 at 10:20 am

how extensive is your weight lifting? I would give up heavy squats/deadlifts permanently to be on the safe side.

• DrBrown

March 18, 2021 at 11:43 am

@aj9000
    Dear AJ.
    Each surgeon has a different regimen. Talk with your surgeon about when to start exercises.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• MarkT

August 18, 2023 at 8:05 pm

temporarily.

• John

August 18, 2023 at 4:54 pm

Discouraged squats and dead lifts temporarily or permanently?