News Feed Discussions Failed bilateral TEP repair

• Failed bilateral TEP repair

Posted by Paul on October 29, 2016 at 10:42 am

About a year ago I had a hernia repair on both sides. They put a 10 X 15 cm mesh on both sides. On one side they found a Femoral Hernia on the other side an Indirect Inguinal Hernia. Unfortunately, the surgery failed. I still have Hernia on both sides. They are very small < 1 cm, like before the surgery.

Now I mainly experience a buzzing sensation in my testicles. I also have buzzing/ warmth /sometimes burning in my legs (including lower legs and feet), the exact location is changing throughout the day). The symptoms get worse after doing sports. There is almost no pain in my groin as long as I don’t do sports)
    It seems to me that there is something wrong with the blood flow. I will probably need surgery again since there is a chance that I still have a femoral hernia (difficult to see whether this is fixed by the previous repair or an additional inguinal hernia is still present).

If a femoral hernia is present they probably need to use a mesh and use an open repair procedure. However, if my complaints are caused by the mesh and they use another mesh with an open procedure, it becomes almost impossible to remove the laparoscopically placed mesh (they only do mesh removal via an open procedure in Germany (I think), which would mean they would need to remove two meshes).

I don’t know what the best procedure is. I am afraid that my complaints are caused by the mesh and another surgery could make it worse. Or could it be that my hernias are causing these symptoms?

Thank you in advance!

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

October 29, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Failed bilateral TEP repair

Good points.
    Your surgeon should help figure out if your symptoms are due to recurrence of the hernia or from the mesh or both.
    Removal of mesh that was placed laparoscopically is no small feat.
    In Germany there are excellent surgeons for hernia related pain. You are right that the most famous ones do only open procedures. But they can help you figure out why you have the pain. If they feel that the mesh is an issue, then they should be able to help in that realm too.

Some names to consider:
    Dr Muschawek
    Dr Conze
    Dr Bitner