News Feed Discussions Fascinating Facts about IH

• kaspa

August 3, 2019 at 12:35 am

These are just some postulates of mine, but another fascinating fact, perhaps, at least for indirect hernia, is the hernial sac. I think there will be no hernia without a sac, even if you have a large ring. I believe sac formation is a random event. In children they just ligate sac, nothing more. Then as child grows up, everything changes position and hernia is cured by nature. I think that if you ligate a sac in an adult you have hernia cured, too. The reason is that there’s no way abdominal contents can escape outside. Difference is that there’s no growth and defects will remain. Thus hernia can recur, but maybe it could take years for another random event, or simply never happen again. I’m not so sure about direct hernia. An important reason why hernia recurs so often is that surgeons often don’t ligate sacs high enough or not all sacs. A sac can be invisible during surgery so you need a trained surgeon to look for them patiently. Dr. Kang and Shouldice Clinic do that, but I’m not that sure all surgeons do that. I’d like to know about other people’s thoughts here.

• kaspa

August 3, 2019 at 12:23 am

I think both sides are exactly the same complexity. They work on belly wall, which is just a mirror image of the other side. I’ve never heard of any type of repair specific for right or left side.

• pinto

August 3, 2019 at 12:16 am

Thanks for the info about the right side. I wonder if the sides differ appreciably about surgical complexity.

Because African Americans have genes only 70% African ( 20% European), I wonder about the IH stats for Africa as well as for Asia. Environmental factors play a part Im sure.

• kaspa

August 2, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Right side is no big deal. On left you have sigmoid colon against wall that protects from herniation.

I didn’t know about Afro-Americans. It must be quite common among them given it’s so prevalent already among Caucasians.