News Feed Discussions Feeling frustrated

• Feeling frustrated

Posted by lhughes1991 on June 15, 2015 at 10:50 am

After completing a set of sit ups (25 per set) in the relaxed position my stomach gets a cramp I can only describe as a “Charlie horse”. I can see and feel it. It is painful and when I massage my stomach it takes time but then goes away. I reported this to my doctor who pushed on my stomach and found nothing. He said because the abdomen muscle is weak it becomes cramped when used but it should go away with weight loss and use. I am prescribed Pepcid which I take twice a day and I am overweight. I attempted again to do sit ups with the same result. I returned to my doctor who ordered an ultrasound. Again he said no hernia. I do not have any pain, and this only happens if I do sit ups or stretch from side to side. I am 53 and at 42 I had a complete hysterectomy. I have given birth one time naturally. I stopped doing crunches or sit ups. When I ride a bike or do the elliptical I have no symptoms or pain. I have Kaiser insurance. I have seen my doctor 4 times on this issue and each time he advises nothing or tells me to stop doing the exercises that is making this issue. Do you have any advice on what I should do next?

drtowfigh replied 8 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • lhughes1991

June 16, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Feeling frustrated

Thank you so much for the time you took to answer me. I will take this information to my doctor. :cheer:

• drtowfigh

June 16, 2015 at 7:19 am

Feeling frustrated

Sometimes there are small “epigastric hernias” in the middle between the belly button and the lower rib cage area. A piece of fat can get trapped there and cause pain with certain crunches. That is the only thing I can think of that may be causing your pain that would be hernia-related. An ultrasound or CT scan should identify it. Surgery will cure it.

• lhughes1991

June 15, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Feeling frustrated

The cramp happens in the upper part of my stomach. I have no fever or pain any other time. Lifting is no problem. If I bend to a point where I am in a fetal position it brings the cramp on. I have no problems eating, swallowing or doing any other exercise except for my knees (arthritis). No nausea or radiation of pain anywhere else. Pretty much sit ups.

• drtowfigh

June 15, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Feeling frustrated

Where exactly is the cramp? Do you have associated bulge, nausea, radiation of the pain elsewhere? Any other activities cause the pain, such as coughing, bending, lifting?