News Feed Discussions Female with right groin pain, finally ultrasound

• Female with right groin pain, finally ultrasound

Posted by Phentis on November 18, 2015 at 2:57 am

Hello,
    I have had lower right groin pain on and off for two years, sometimes just a burn and other times slight pain.
    CT done earlier this year because it was causing me pain and to have to urinate quite often. I do have IBS they say and I do have issues with bloating at times.
    So, finally I was referred to a surgeon and had an ultrasound that showed a small inguinal hernia. Dr. said I could take care of it now or wait until it was bothering me more.
    Well, after some light working out it started in hurting everyday. I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago laproscopically and was told I formed scar tissue quickly because I get pain in the area where it was removed, especially if I am constipated. So the surgeon wants to do an open repair with mesh.
    I have looked at Dr. Towfigh’s website, I live in Sacramento california. I need so advise on what to do, is open surgery the best or laproscopic.
    Please, any advice or direction would be great.

drtowfigh replied 8 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • drtowfigh

December 19, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Female with right groin pain, finally ultrasound

Hi there.

Wondering if you were able to get your hernia repaired and how you’re doing.

• drtowfigh

November 23, 2015 at 4:54 pm

At UC Davis, consider Dr Jonsthan Pierce and Dr Kathrrine Troppman.

• Phentis

November 19, 2015 at 3:19 am

Hello Dr. Towfigh,
    Thank you so much for the quick reply, I so appreciate your time and your informative website.
    My Radiology report says ultrasound of the inguinal region shows a 1.2 cm right indirect Inguinal Hernia. This contains fat and is reducible. There is tenderness in the region of the hernia.
    This was done in May and in October I began a new work out program and the pain has been more severe and is there most of the day and at night and quit working out. I am really bothered by it the last few weeks and the last few days especially as my stomach is bothering me. I have IBS and stress and dairy and get it started. So the bloating makes the pain more intense. It is only a 2 to 4 on a scale of 1 to 10 and now lasts all day and night. Even when I carry the groceries into the house makes it more intense.

I spoke to my surgeon today Dr. Christian Swanson and asked about the open repair and my concerns. I am 5′ 8″ and weigh only 118lbs
    He told me that in his practice he has found that a single hernia like mine works better for him to do an open repair with mesh over the then the lapro repair. He said he has done thousands of hernia repairs over the years and feels he gets a better outcome with the surgery done this way. Do you know of any surgeons in the sacramento area that might use your technique. I am very nervous and am scheduled for a surgery on the 4th of december. I am trying to decide if i can wait and fly to your office for a consult and put off my surgery a month or so. Any info you can provide would be wonderful.
    Thank you in advance.

• drtowfigh

November 18, 2015 at 4:34 am

Thanks for reaching out on this site. It is exactly what we are here for. Is like to hear what other surgeons have to say, but here are my two cents about it (and there are varying thoughts about this question so there is no one true answer):

1. Congrats. You now have a diagnosis
    2. Most small female inguinal hernias are not “dangerous,” that is, the risk of intestinal involvement is low because the hernia is small and plugged with fat. Thus, repair is not urgent and I typically recommend repair if there is pain that affects daily life. Otherwise, it is usually safe to delay repair as long as the patient wishes. The only exception is for femoral hernias. Those must be repaired.
    3. The type of repair that is best is the one that your surgeon is best at doing, most comfortable to offer, and so on. Open inguinal hernia repair with mesh is standard and the most commonly performed type of inguinal hernia repair. My personal preference for women, especially those of normal to low weight, is laparoscopic repair with mesh or open repair without mesh. Women as a whole have been shown to have more mesh-related pain with open repair with mesh, though the data is not concrete.

That is my take on it. I tailor the repair to what are the needs of the patient.