News Feed Discussions Femoral hernia

• mela414

October 24, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Femoral hernia

Beenthere, how are you doing now? It’s only 4 days since my surgery and of course I am having some anxiety hoping that everything will heal correctly. Ive never had hernia surgery before but have had several laporoscopies for endometriosis, adhesions and hysterectomy. Each time u was told everything was ok and then pain would return and somewhere down the road I would need another surgery. My last surgery for adhesions was 12 years ago. That surgery was successful and helped so much with pain until
    All this started A few months ago. It took a while
    To even get a diagnosis. And that only happened at my own intervention and pushing for MRI and consults with different types of doctors. So when my surgeon says I should be fine now I am a little skeptical in believing him. It’s not good for me mentally but is very realistic. Only time will tell. The healing process is slow so all I can do is take are of myself and wait.
    I hope you are feeling well.
    Mel

• Beenthere

October 24, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Femoral hernia

Glad to hear the surgery went well.

I went almost two years in pain with an undiagnosed femoral hernia that was found while fixing another hernia and mesh removal.

• seeker

October 22, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Femoral hernia

Mel,

It is good to hear that all went well! Even better that your sciatica pain is gone! Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

Sue

• mela414

October 22, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Femoral hernia

I had the surgery done Thursday morning. They did it laporoscopically and found a substantial fatty hernia jammed into the right femoral canal. They removed and placed a mesh. They checked the left side and was ok. I also had a small umbilical hernia which he took care of too. My GYN was present for the entire surgery and once the hernia repair was complete they went into my abdomen to check for adhesions and found my bowel
    Was stuck to my abdominal wall. They took down that adhesion along with a few other adhesions. I spoke with the surgeon yesterday who felt good about the surgery and said i should feel better.
    I was concerned about some leg swelling and expressed that to the surgeon. he advised me to go to the ER of it didn’t get better from walking and elevation. Last night I decided to be safe rather than sorry and went to the ER for an ultrasound to check for clots. My father recently had some DVTs which went to both lungs so I was concerned.
    Everything was ok and was able to sleep without that added stress.
    I am sore and swollen which is normal. I have some throat and palate irritations from the tube but am doing my breathing excercises and clearing all that stuff out.
    The first positive thing I noticed is that i do not have the sciatica pain anymore.
    I am resting and hopeful
    That each day will get better.
    Mel

• drtowfigh

October 22, 2016 at 5:48 am

Femoral hernia

I strongly advise against femoral hernia repair without mesh in the typical patient. It is associated with higher risk for recurrence and significantly more pain. Laparoscopic repair with mesh is considered the standard.

With regard to the Progrip mesh, there is something unique about it–in a positive way. I do a lot of mesh removal for mesh-related chronic pain, and the Progrip mesh has not yet been one that I have ever had to remove.

Trust your surgeon’s experience. You will do great.

• seeker

October 19, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Femoral hernia

Hi Mel,

I wanted to check in and let you know that I have spoken to several people and been relieved of my concerns about the hernia surgery and mesh. Mel, the odds are so very much with you that all will go well. Your biggest concern is taking care of this extreme pain and it seems like you are on the right track in doing it.

I will be thinking of you until you report back that all is well.

I wish you the best,
    Sue

• mela414

October 18, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Femoral hernia

Hi seeker. I was hoping for an answer too as I’m in a similar situation. I have a thin frame -90 lbs 5’3.5 inches …so very slender and am 57. A year older than you. My doctor said he was using mesh and I am trusting him to use what he feels is appropriate for me. I wish i had more time to investigate but pain doesn’t allow me. I also wish I had some information to share with you.
    I saw the other post and I think it’s a hacker.
    Please keep us posted or if anyone has any information to share that would be great.
    Mel

• seeker

October 18, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Femoral hernia

As I haven’t gotten any replies (except this strange one above….) I would like to add more questions to my first post. Being aware of my age (56), and that I have a femoral hernia- would a progrip mesh be necessary? Have there been problems associated with their use? Dr Towfigh recommended a light weight mesh for woman of lower weight – also acknowldging there are other variables that may not make light weight always the best choice. Since I am 115-120 lbs, I am concerned about using the progrip, but it is a choice my surgeon will have to make after he knows what he is dealing with during the operation. He wants to use a mesh that will do what it is suppose to do and not risk further hernia reoccurrences.

Can anyone give their advise as a surgeon or as a person who has had progrip used in their surgery? Or who has had light weight used with long term success?

Thank you.

Page 2 of 2