News Feed Discussions Femoral or Inguinal Hernia under Lymph Node

• Femoral or Inguinal Hernia under Lymph Node

Posted by TGR4Y8 on November 14, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Recently discovered by way of a sono that I have a hernia under a lymph node in my groin area. I am scheduled for a contrast and non contrast MRI in about a month to look further into these. In the meantime, I was just hoping to gather some info with regards to what I can expect after the MRI and experiences that may have some similarities.

Just a few facts – I have a 14 month old I carry everywhere by way of a front carrier, and I nurse her – so both of these things are going to be effected greatly if I have too have surgery, and with recovery time.

What sort of recovery time is usual? Should I expect to be bed bound for a few days and then likely not able to carry her at all for a few weeks?

I am hedging my bets that surgery will be required as I can feel a pretty substantial lump already and I am guessing the fact that the lymph node is directly on top of the hernia, can’t help.

I have also been told I cannot nurse for 24 hours after the MRI. Any debate here? It seems like a short period for us, but for my daughter it is not going to be fun.

I am not sure why I got the hernia in the first place – but likely attributed to carry my kid and the pregnancy. I am not a big person – 5’3″ and about 115. On that note, I have read that mesh is usually used. Anyone not go the mesh route? I really hate the idea of having that in my body.

TGR4Y8 replied 7 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

November 15, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Femoral or Inguinial Hernia under Lymph Node

It is not necessary to have IV gadolinium contrast with your MRI if the purpose is for hernias. So, therefore, it would be okay to nurse immediately if you are not given contrast.

Watchful waiting is appropriate for most “minimally symptomatic” or “asymptomatic” inguinal hernias, with one exception: femoral hernias should be repaired. The timing is based on your needs, but it should not just be watched, in general.

• TGR4Y8

November 15, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Thanks for the response. I am located in Washington, DC. I would love to wait out the surgery….that would be ideal. I just figured that since the lymph nodes is being pushed out because it’s directly on top of the hernia, they are going to want to repair sooner rather than later.

• Chaunce123

November 15, 2016 at 3:25 am

TGR4Y8, fellow patient here and I’m not a doctor…

Does your hernia hurt you or cause you difficulties? If it’s not troublesome, maybe you won’t need need an urgent repair, particularly if you are nursing a child? Just a thought, and perhaps “watchful waiting” is something to discuss with your surgeon.

Also, you could always get a second opinion about the surgical procedure. You can find doctors with an interest in hernias on the American Hernia Society website, and if you want to share your location you can also get recommendations from the doctors and patients on this forum.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress and decisions.