News Feed Discussions For Direct Treatment Only

• Jnomesh

February 21, 2020 at 1:26 pm

I to am under the impression that indirect are the more common type of inguinal hernia.

It’s interesting what dr. Kang reports.
    He does a different type repair depending on whether it’s a direct or indirect hernia. I once asked him what If someone has both types on one side and he said then he would do two repairs (in one operation) for each one.
    My understanding is that the shouldice and desarda repairs kind of reinforce both areas of the inguinal area no matter if it is a direct or indirect.
    Desarda kind of acts like a mesh reinforcement but with our own tissue and the shouldice reinforced the area a kind of buttoned home layered approach.
    If I remember correctly dr. Kang said that the problem with these surgeries (even though shouldice reports a super low recurrence rate and some have accused them of cherry picking patients) is that for indirect hernias they don’t address the closure of the internal ring in which he does in his surgery.
    Hope that helps.

• kaspa

February 21, 2020 at 11:20 am

To the best of my knowledge Shouldice and Desarda work both for direct or indirect hernias, or both.

Dr. Kang is an expert in tissue hernia repair and perhaps technically speaking those repairs are more adequate for direct hernias.

Dr. Kang uses different repairs for each hernia and so he must be quite aware what’s more perfect for each case.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  kaspa.
  • Casimir

February 21, 2020 at 9:06 am

@alephy I think if you include children but for adults I think it’s mostly weakened tissue / direct

• Alephy

February 20, 2020 at 9:35 pm

I understood indirect ones are the majority…

Page 2 of 2