News Feed Discussions Four repairs.

• Four repairs.

Posted by herniaqueen on December 7, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Have had 4 repairs over the past 20 years. Born with umbilical hernia that had to be repaired at age 45 without mesh after 2 pregnancies (surgeon #1). Recurred in a year, had it repaired a few years later with only 1 piece of mesh able to be placed, recurred within 6 months, immediately had 3rd repair with another piece of mesh placed I(surgeon #2 for both). Small recurrence after 3 months, didn’t bother me. A few years later ended up with emergent repair after a partial small bowel obstruction. That surgery left me with a small lump near the incision that apparently was mesh (surgeon #3) .A year ago small pinhole next to lump developed with drainage. Have had no pain or infection, just serous drainage. Was told by #3 that I needed to have mesh removed, “hernia rest” for 6 months, and mesh replaced, or keep dressing on drainage. Opted for dressing as I don’t think she has much experience removing/replacing mesh. As an aside, during past 4 years have had cancer misdiagnosed for a year but am in remission now, a L hip replacement, parotid gland surgery, lung biopsies for what turned out to be nothing but partially collapsed my lung, and have been bounced around to 20 different doctors, only will/do see 5 of them. It’s been like whack a mole, the health version. I’m a medical transcriptionist, so know more than the average patient which literally saved my life with the cancer. Now need a R hip replacement, but have to have the drainage cleared by a surgeon, not #3, but imagine it will involve surgery, which I doubt I would do, re scar tissue, finding somebody competent, etc. and need to lose 50 pounds, which again I am trying to do without luck. Has anybody had this type of drainage and if so what did you do. Live near Albany, NY if anyone has experience with somebody good around here.

herniaqueen replied 6 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • herniaqueen

December 10, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Thanks. However, Dr. Jacob does not take insurance? Do you know why?

• LeviProcter

December 9, 2017 at 11:02 pm

Drainage can be from many things.

Foreign body (mesh, suture, etc) can cause these issues.

This requires an evaluation by surgeons that remove mesh.

Brian Jacob is an excellent surgeon in NY that could help steer you in the correct direction.
    https://www.laparoscopicsurgeons.com/our-surgeons/brian-jacob.html