News Feed Discussions Getting a lot of negative reports re Yunis lately

• Getting a lot of negative reports re Yunis lately

Posted by Unknown Member on January 20, 2023 at 10:38 am

Folks..about 5 people have reached out to me over the last several weeks to tell me they received very poor treatment from Dr. Yunis. To be fair…my experience was good…and Peter C reports the same. These folks were people with difficult removal issues so take that into consideration…but the reports struck me as heartless…refusing to take phone calls after doing a mesh surgery…telling the patient he was asking too many questions. Snapping at someone saying oh are you a surgeon now….that kind of thing. I say this because I want people to get good info off this great forum…and we often hear that Yunis did a great job…And if course I trust my brothers on this forum over any fool doctor. The more I study this, the more I think you need to go overseas for hernia care…My top picks would be Dr. Kang…Followed by Andreas Koch…..if someone stole my passport and said you gotta stay in the US—i would probably still go to Yunis. But buyer beware he is not all wine and roses…and apparently has a temper. His receptionist is also very short and unhelpful though his personal assistant melanie is nice.

Watchful replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Watchful

January 23, 2023 at 8:36 pm

Chuck,

Right, I think back then when you were researching it they were indeed cutting the cremaster completely, cutting the genital nerve, and using steel sutures. This changed more recently as I mentioned before.

I selected the surgeon based on experience and reviews. Hall, Slater, and Simmons have many years of experience performing this procedure, and they get mostly good reviews. Netto is pretty junior actually – he has been doing this for only 3-4 years. The best surgeon there in recent times was Alexander, but he retired during the pandemic. Another great one was Degani, but he is mostly retired now, and really old (in his 80s I believe).

The place is not what it used to be, unfortunately. Shouldice who used to monitor things closely passed away, and the other big names who kept the strict tradition there retired or passed away. They now diverged in how they do the procedure, there are a number of young part timers there, etc. Also, the property was sold for redevelopment recently, and it’s not clear what will happen to this hospital.

• Unknown Member

January 20, 2023 at 6:09 pm

Watchful thx per the usual. Yes my experience with yunis was the same. He definitely did not brag or exaggerate his experience. You advised that you would not go to shouldice again. You really did a perfect analysis of your options. For me the cremaster cutting and steel wire stuff scared me off shouldice. Plus at the time they were enforcing the death vax. How did you select your shouldice physician? Did you ask yunis who was best? I am guessing Netto might be the best doc there as he is now chief of surgery. This was one of the most complex decisions I have ever been faced with. If I had to do over again without knowing how toxic mesh is I wonder what I would have done. I hoped to avoid chronic pain by avoiding cutting and tissue trauma. But lap burned me anyway. It’s such a barbaric procedure. Would love to know your do over choice

• Watchful

January 20, 2023 at 1:25 pm

I talked to him more than a year ago. He was pleasant, and even humble enough to say that the best place to go for a Shouldice procedure is the Shouldice Hospital, even though he was able and willing to do it. Also, he said that tissue repair would be his preference on a “virgin abdomen”, so he definitely had a favorable view of tissue repair. I ended up not going to him because of a number of reasons: he himself thought it would be better to go to Shouldice, he hadn’t done a very large number of these, I wasn’t sure if he would end up doing Shouldice or Desarda or even mesh, and I didn’t get a clear understanding of what he was doing for anesthesia. I don’t know if he changed or not since then.

People and organizations can and do change, of course. Also, on-line reviews can be misleading because many patients prefer not to leave bad reviews. I remember that Dr. Brown used to be considered good to deal with, and he had mostly good reviews. However, when I met with him when he was close to retirement, he seemed very impatient and almost scary.