News Feed Discussions Going into Labor while Pregnant

• Going into Labor while Pregnant

Posted by Nacly on January 6, 2023 at 8:48 am

Hey all,

I posted on a here a few years back when I had my own hernias/pain after. I’m posting on behalf of my wife with her permission.

She’s 34 weeks pregnant w/ her first pregnancy. She’s been active throughout including cardio and weight bearing exercise. About 2 months ago, she developed a bulge in her groin w/ irritation and saw her OB. The first doc said it was not a hernia, and was a lump that couldn’t be explained. The second doc diagnosed her with a femoral hernia.

This far it acts like a normal hernia and becomes more painful with exercise and at the end of the day. She has seen a general surgeon and at each OB appt has asked about what the options are for delivery. My wife has a large amount of anxiety about vaginal delivery, and the worry about complications from the large amounts of pressure on her abdomen during labor is exacerbating it. We’ve asked about c section, but most clinicians we’ve seen have indicated that she should be able to deliver vaginally without issue. Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

Nacly replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Nacly

January 17, 2023 at 5:38 am

Thank you for the reply, Dr. Towfigh! That helps put our minds at ease. Yes, the lum does reduce when lying down, and we’ll see about asking for an ultrasound on Friday when we go in for her 36-week appointment. Thanks again!

• drtowfigh

January 8, 2023 at 9:45 pm

Happy to help:

1- bulging in the groin during pregnancy can be inguinal hernia, femoral hernia, or round ligament varices (varicose veins). Does the bulging go away when lying flat? A simple hernia ultrasound performed to help find the answer.

2- Pregnancy rarely causes hernia emergencies. Also, delivery rarely causes hernia emergencies.

3. The choices for delivery are undergo labor or have elective C-section and don’t undergo labor. There is no right answer from a hernia standpoint. Both are considered safe from a primary hernia standpoint. If a patient has pain from the hernia or had a repair (let’s say tissue repair) that is at risk of recurrence, then elective C-section is preferred, but I have no objective data to show you about it.