News Feed Discussions Got Hernia???

• Got Hernia???

Posted by e101 on October 14, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Hi I am a 47 year old male. September 2014 I had an emergency laparoscopic cholecystectomy and ever since I have had pain at the incision site near my belly button.

Pain had eased to a manageable level until August 2016 when pain became more intense. Same symptoms at first but has progressed to include pain further to the right near my appendix. Also, pain to left of belly button as well as pain in the pubic region. Additionally, I have had intermittent aching low back, radiating pain into thigh and testicle as well as some occasional nausea. At this point it is keeping me out of work and life in general.

I have had several ultrasounds,an MRI and 2 CT scans. The most recent CT last month September 2016(radiologist did not see a hernia 2nd opinion surgeon disagrees).

Original surgeon for gallbladder thinks it may be an undetected abdominal hernia and or adhesions. Suggests exploratory laparoscopic and place mesh at incision site whether he finds hernia or not and scrape scar tissue.
    Second surgeon laughed at adhesions and said that is what Drs tell you if they have no answer. He says he sees an abdominal hernia on the CT scan and wants to do open surgery with absorbable suture with no mesh,mesh, or absorbable mesh my choice.

Are these symptoms suggestive of an incisional hernia, adhesions, or something else? Thanks so much for any input. I attached CT screen shot in question.

e101 replied 7 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • mela414

October 16, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Got Hernia???

Thanks so much e101. Please keep us posted as well. My surgery is actually Thursday and it’s not soon enough!
    All the best.
    Mel

• e101

October 15, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Got Hernia???

Hi Mel, Thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to offer me support especially when you are getting ready for your own surgery. It means a lot. I hope you have a speedy recovery and that this surgery takes care of the pain you have been experiencing. Best of luck on Wednesday!

• mela414

October 15, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Got Hernia???

E101, I am in NJ too and am having femoral hernia surgery this Wednesday. I know how frustrating it is to get the correct diagnosis. I’m so happy you found this place and have gotten some answers to your questions. I did as well. I am in a lot of pain. I also feel I now have one on the other side as well. Waiting till Thursday is stressful. I can’t wait to finally put this behind me. Good luck with your surgery and please keep us posted
    Mel

• e101

October 14, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Got Hernia???

Dr Towfigh your input has given me so much mental relief I can’t thank you enough. On top of the pain the not knowing has caused so much stress. I think tonight I will finally be able to get some sleep without waking up at 2 am and self diagnosing. Also, thanks for the “excellent muscle” complement. I have told my wife for years that there is 6 pack hiding under there now I have proof 🙂

• drtowfigh

October 14, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Got Hernia???

Yes. Forget idea of adhesions.
    Based on your CT, I would err on doing this laparoscopically. You have excellent muscles and it’s a better repair in my mind for this small size hernia.
    But your surgeon should recommend whatever technique he/she is best at.

• e101

October 14, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Got Hernia???

Hi Dr Towfigh thank you so much for your reply! I have been strongly thinking about coming to see you in California. Just have been hesitant due to logistics as I am in NJ. It is clear I would be in the most capable of hands. I hope I am not over doing it with a couple of follow up questions but here it goes. Do you think open or laproscopic would be the best choice? Should I forget about the idea of adhesions? Thanks again

• drtowfigh

October 14, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Got Hernia???

That’s a pretty obvious hernia. It supports my research that 3/4 of imaging for hernias is incorrectly interpreted by radiologists.

That hernia can be the cause of right sided pain, nausea, back pain, suprapubic pain. Not commonly the testicle or lower leg.

Once you have a hernia from an incision, closure with non absorbable mesh is the gold standard.