Has anyone ever had or treated a lumbar hernia?

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion Has anyone ever had or treated a lumbar hernia?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Terry
      Participant

And if so, what were the symptoms?

For reference: https://radiopaedia.org/articles/lumbar-hernia?lang=us

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Terry.
      drtowfigh
      Keymaster

Yes! Very rare with interesting anatomy. Do you mean superior and inferior lumbar hernias or flank hernias? I treat both but the approach and anatomy are very different among them.

I repaired a Grynfeltt just last week. I’ll post it in my social media.

Terry
        Participant

Hi yes! I mean a superior or inferior lumbar hernia, not a flank hernia. I am curious about the anatomy because I feel like given the fact that most tests are laying on your back, it can pop back in and be missed by the radiologist. If a patient presents with a reduceable mass and swelling in the area and clinical symptoms like inability to pass gas (but not a complete bowel blockage), would a surgeon ever agree to do a diagnostic surgery even if it didn’t show up on CT clearly?

drtowfigh
      Keymaster

They are almost always seen on imaging. If CT is negative, it may be just incorrectly interpreted. Also, bowel is almost never in these hernias. Usually they are only fat, so it should not affect your GI system.

I am happy to see you as an online consultation if you want to send my your imaging and symptoms to review.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar