News Feed Discussions Has anyone ever had or treated a lumbar hernia?

• drtowfigh

December 13, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Please contact my office directly to inquire about surgical consultation options. ([email protected] or 310-358-5020)

No, autonomic nerves not involved

• drtowfigh

September 28, 2021 at 4:19 pm

They are almost always seen on imaging. If CT is negative, it may be just incorrectly interpreted. Also, bowel is almost never in these hernias. Usually they are only fat, so it should not affect your GI system.

I am happy to see you as an online consultation if you want to send my your imaging and symptoms to review.

• drtowfigh

September 27, 2021 at 1:42 pm

Yes! Very rare with interesting anatomy. Do you mean superior and inferior lumbar hernias or flank hernias? I treat both but the approach and anatomy are very different among them.

I repaired a Grynfeltt just last week. I’ll post it in my social media.

• Terry

October 28, 2021 at 7:01 pm

Hi Dr., how much is an online consulation? Also, can the autonomic nerves or blood vessels in the retroperitoneal space be part of this hernia?

• Terry

September 27, 2021 at 10:28 pm

Hi yes! I mean a superior or inferior lumbar hernia, not a flank hernia. I am curious about the anatomy because I feel like given the fact that most tests are laying on your back, it can pop back in and be missed by the radiologist. If a patient presents with a reduceable mass and swelling in the area and clinical symptoms like inability to pass gas (but not a complete bowel blockage), would a surgeon ever agree to do a diagnostic surgery even if it didn’t show up on CT clearly?