News Feed Discussions Have had pain for about 3 months

• Have had pain for about 3 months

Posted by jantuna2 on October 1, 2016 at 3:41 pm

I have had pain on my left pelvic area for about 3 months now. After seeing gynecologists, GI doctors and being misdiagnosed with an intususcepcion, the surgeon finally saw the cat scan images. There was no intususcepcion in those images he said, and he believes I have a hernia. He asked me to come back in three weeks to see if the hernia would come out, but today I am in pain and I will be calling him on Monday. The pain comes when I bend, when I do dishes, when I lay back and stretch my abdominal area. Not until this morning when I saw Dr. Towfigh article on Groin and Pelvic pain I was so sure that what I have must be an occult hernia.

jantuna2 replied 7 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • drtowfigh

October 28, 2016 at 3:35 am

Have had pain for about 3 months

Most patients are symmetric. And we sometimes see new symptoms on the opposite side when one side is repaired. The pain from the one side is no longer masking the lesser pain on the other side.

• jantuna2

October 24, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Hello Dr. Towfigh
    I am recovering well from surgery. I had a open inguinal hernia surgery on the left side, it was an occult hernia and the doctor used no mesh. It has been 2 weeks, i still have some pain, but it is getting better.
    What I am worried about is that I have been feeling light burning sensation (very minor) on the right side. I remember I felt minor discomfort before surgery on the right side for like a day, but I did not pay attention to it since it was very light , almost nothing, and not for a long time.
    After I had surgery, and I am recovering from the left side, I have felt slightly more burning sensation on the right side, could this be from the incision on the left side? Since there are maybe nerves in those areas? I wanted to find out if anybody else has felt the same thing after surgery on one side? Could this possibly be another hernia on the right side? I hoping it is not…. I am seeing my surgeon on Wednesday so that he can suggest what to do. I wanted to ask for your opinion Dr. Towfigh….. as always thank you.

Jaliet

• Chaunce123

October 13, 2016 at 5:46 pm

jantuna2, it’s great to hear these success stories and I’m glad you’re healing well.

Do you mind sharing the surgeon and location of clinic you saw who was able to work out your case and successfully perform your surgery? Many patients could find this information useful. Thanks.

• jantuna2

October 13, 2016 at 3:24 pm

I will! Thank YOU!

• drtowfigh

October 13, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Thank you!

Please spread the word to your surgeon about this forum.

• jantuna2

October 13, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Dr. Towfigh
    I finally had my surgery on Monday. The surgeon sent sent me home the same day. He performed an open inguinal hernia repair, no mesh was used. He told me it was a small hernia and he found it right away during surgery, and repaired it. The incision is about 3″ long. He said he had seen it in the ct scan, but it was very small. It has been almost 72 hrs since I had the surgery. I have mild pain when I get up and walk, but I am recovering well. Thank you so much for educating everyone about hernias, I went through a lot to get the right diagnosis. The surgeon is the one who diagnosed it, but I was sent to him so that he can treat an “intususcepcion” that didn’t even exist it.
    I had piece of mind when I found your article online, and realized my symptoms were the same you were describing. Again, thank you Dr. Towfigh. I can’t believe this nightmare is over.

• drtowfigh

October 13, 2016 at 3:28 am

Again, imaging may he misread or inaccurate. I’m happy to review them for you.
    Alternative diagnoses include hip labral tear or other hip related pathology.

How did your appointment go?

• jantuna2

October 3, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Dr. Towfigh
    Today I went to the ER and they did more x rays and pelvic ultrasound. Nothing was abnormal. I have an appt to see my surgeon on Friday. The pain feels the same way and it radiates to my lower left back. When I sit down or rest, I don’t feel it as much at all. When I walk, it starts happening. Are these signs of a hernia? What tests an show these hidden hernias? I would like to talk to the surgeon about it on Friday.

Thank you

• jantuna2

October 3, 2016 at 12:14 am

Thank you Dr. Towfigh. If I could, I would get my MRI done and bring it to you!

I hope they find it soon , I have this discomfort for too long now.

• drtowfigh

October 1, 2016 at 4:43 pm

You don’t have to have a bulge to have a hernia. In women, occult or hidden hernias are more likely. And they hurt.
    CT scan is often incorrectly negative for hernias. Dynamic ultrasound or MRI pelvis is a better imaging modality to help diagnose this.