News Feed Discussions Heat or Ice for watchful waiting inguinal care??

• Heat or Ice for watchful waiting inguinal care??

Posted by Mark on September 16, 2020 at 4:58 am

I noticed my bilateral inguinal hernias seem to get worse when my body warms up. For example, when I hike the hernia comes out and cannot be pushed back in like normal. I’m guessing it is the warm blood flow to the area is bad and doing more damage by making the hernia looser and larger. Thoughts?

And when at rest, say at home relaxing, is it good or bad to put ice or a heating pad on them? I work from home and use a heating pad through most the entire day and it feels great I’m just scared this may be doing harm to it versus using ice may be better. My novice thought was the heat keeps the tissue sift and plyable which is a good thing whereas the ice shrinks and out more tension on the tissue which is bad. Thoughts?

drtowfigh replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

September 24, 2020 at 6:52 pm

Will not affect the hernia.

• drtowfigh

September 16, 2020 at 6:40 am

Ice is an anti-inflammation. Hernia pain is inflammation. So, use ice.

Hear is a muscle relaxant. And it Increases blood flow to the area, which will increase the inflammatory response. Don’t use it for hernia pain. It will make the pain worse.

• Mark

September 16, 2020 at 5:18 pm

What if I have no pain but just want to put something in there to keep the tissues soft is it ok to use a heating pad or do you think that had any chance at making the hernia larger and/or worse long term?