News Feed Discussions Help needed in selecting inguinal hernia repair (non mesh open vs. robotic)

• Help needed in selecting inguinal hernia repair (non mesh open vs. robotic)

Posted by Tino_7 on August 27, 2019 at 4:39 pm

I found this forum searching for non mesh alternatives for inguinal hernias.

Given my geographical location, my choices are Drs. Grischkan, Szotek and Ramshaw. Of these, Dr. Szotek would be the shortest drive – and even then, it would be nearly 5 hours.

I’m in my early 60s and also have urinary retention and need prostate surgery, which will eat up almost all my paid sick leave. In addition, my wife and son have medical issues and we are going to multiple doctors to get to the root causes. I’m also dealing with mounting debt, home water damage/mold from recent rains, enormous job pressure, and lack of sleep due to my prostate. With so many medical decisions to make for not only myself but for my son and wife as well, I am quite overwhelmed at the moment.

I’m concerned an open mesh repair would lay me up too long, so I am considering open tissue repair or robotic mesh (although I’d like to avoid mesh if possible).

I spoke with Dr. Grischkan. He’s done more than 20,000 open tissue repairs. Obviously, his experience level is quite remarkable but he’s far away and getting back to him for post-op visits would be difficult.

Dr. Szotek has amazing reviews; he’s noted for being compassionate and great follow-up. He specializes in robotic surgery (I think it’s with absorbable mesh). To my layman’s ears, that sounds like a speedy recovery – perhaps even faster than Dr. Grischkan’s surgery.

I suppose an advantage to open surgery is it is done under twilight sedation, while laprascopic surgery requires general anesthesia. Dr. Grischkan can do an open tissue repair in 20-25 minutes.

Dr. Ramshaw has great reviews, also, but he would be the furthest drive.

Has anyone had robotic mesh with good results, a Shouldice repair or open tissue repair by Dr. Grischkan?

I’d like to hear your stories and how long it took you to get back on your feet, and how you are doing.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

DrBrown replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • DrBrown

August 27, 2019 at 8:09 pm

Best wishes.
    Bill Brown MD

• Tino_7

August 27, 2019 at 8:06 pm
    quote DrBrown:

[USER=”2966″]Tino_7[/USER]
    Dear Tino.
    Be sure that the robotic operation does not create too much scar tissue to have prostate surgery later.
    An open pure tissue will not interfere with any prostate surgery in the future.
    Both operations can make urination difficult. Consider Flomax before surgery.

Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

Thank you, Dr. Brown. I appreciate your input!

I’m on Flomax, 0.8 mg/day. But prostate is 130-140 cc, so I need a procedure (considering HoLEP).

If I don’t do the prostate first, it’s good to know an open tissue procedure will not interfere.

I do have confidence in Dr. Grischkan for the open tissue repair.

• DrBrown

August 27, 2019 at 7:56 pm

[USER=”2966″]Tino_7[/USER]
    Dear Tino.
    Be sure that the robotic operation does not create too much scar tissue to have prostate surgery later.
    An open pure tissue will not interfere with any prostate surgery in the future.
    Both operations can make urination difficult. Consider Flomax before surgery.

Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• tenreasy

August 27, 2019 at 5:18 pm

I have had robotic laparoscopic for a left side inguinal repair with mesh last Sept. 2018 @ 57 yrs old. Northwestern Hospital Chicago. No pain after the surgery. Feel 100% now with no issues. Glad I had it done.