News Feed Discussions Hernia and Pregnancy

• drtowfigh

June 11, 2017 at 5:02 am

For inguinal hernias, any repair is considered to be fine and does not interfere with pregnancy. As far as I am aware, there is no specific data regarding Desarda and pregnancy. But there is also not much data regarding any of the other repairs and pregnancy either.

• raindrop

June 9, 2017 at 2:23 am

Hello Doctors and women who have/had hernia,
    any info as to which repair type is better for young women with inguinal hernia who want to get pregnant in the future? is there any research out there on pregnancy after a desarda repair? I feel trapped because I read on here that young thin women are more prone to possibly having mesh problems. I am also very sensitive, if not allergic, to many metals. Thank you.

• sngoldstein

February 2, 2016 at 4:37 am

Hernia and Pregnancy

While it generally safe to get pregnant after a hernia repair, pregnancy does stress the abdominal wall and could theoretically increase the risk of recurrence. Most surgeons would advise waiting until after you are finished having babies to repair a relatively small hernia if it is not bothering you. The uterus will block the hernia openings and generally prevent complications during pregnancy. Nothing is guaranteed, however, and if the hernia is bothering you or of significant size, you might want to consider getting it fixed.

• orothyfosti

January 25, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Hernia and Pregnancy

Thank you for you input.