News Feed Discussions Hernia and vasectomy question

• Hernia and vasectomy question

Posted by UhOh! on April 18, 2018 at 11:05 pm

We are definitely done having kids, so I am contemplating this procedure. However my understanding is that a small hole is needed on each side, and I’m wondering what, if any, impact having a (relatively small) hernia on one side could have? My concerns are twofold: that having a hernia could complicate the procedure itself, and the potential to “knick” something that would accelerate the need for hernia repair (something I’m currently putting off indefinitely). As best I can tell, no part of my hernia reaches the scrotum, but what do I know (haven’t had any imaging)…

What questions would I need to ask a urologist in order to get a good sense of potential risks/complications that are hernia-related?

miner replied 6 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • miner

April 19, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Make sure the urologist is aware they will examine. I had a vasectomy although the urologist did not think I had a hernia. Its still up for debate. The procedure does not go anywhere near the inguinal canal they poke a hole in your sac and pull the junk out then jam it back in. The one issue I had was 6 months later I started to have mild groin pain I didn’t know what to blame the vasectomy or the hernia. The groin pain subsided which is good but I dont know what it was from.