News Feed Discussions Hernia mesh and low testosterone

• Hernia mesh and low testosterone

Posted by Athenito on October 26, 2016 at 9:33 am

Hello everyone,

I have a question concerning side effects of a hernia repair with mesh. Three years a ago, I was diagnosed with sport hernia. I saw a doc and he fixed by placing a mesh. Since then, I am having pain in the groin area, specially during intercourse, pain in my left testicle, low sex drive, and low testosterone. The level of my T fluctuates between 230 between 350. Can all these symptoms be mesh related? I saw a surgeon couple months ago and agreed to remove it. He thinks yes, it is the mesh that is causing all these problems. Are you experiencing same symptoms? If you did mesh removals, did your symptoms improved?

Thanks a lot.

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Beenthere

November 7, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Hernia mesh and low testosterone

Sorry to hear about your issues. I would verify that your current Dr. is truly on expert in sports hernia and possible mesh removal. If I recall Dr Meyer in the Philly area is one discussed as a sports hernia expert but not sure on removal. I am sure Dr. Towfigh can recommend some others.

Good Luck

• drtowfigh

October 28, 2016 at 3:22 am

Hernia mesh and low testosterone

Mesh or hernia repair does not affect testosterone level. Sex drive may be related to the level of testosterone.

Other symptoms need to be carefully evaluated to determine true cause and tailored approach to addressing it. One size does not fit all.