News Feed Discussions Hernia Repair -abdominal and umbilical

• Hernia Repair -abdominal and umbilical

Posted by Magpla on August 6, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Hello,
    I have 2 children (age 10 and 6) who were born with abdominal hernias. Never thought of surgeries as I was told at birth “nothing could be done” by a nurse. 10 years later, I learn from a pediatric surgeon, indeed it is good to do before they become larger. Upon meeting our pediatric NP, she found 4 in each child. We were referred and when consulting with the surgeon, she found 4 in my son (1 umbilical and 3 abdominal approx 1-2″ apart up to his rib cage) and 2 abdominal in my daughter (she couldn’t find the other 2). So doc has done this often, but wanting to verify best approach. We can see them sticking out clearly on my son approximately 2-4mm and my daughter’s are harder to find although I used to be able to see them clearly, since she has recently stopped gymnastics and gained a little weight. Doctor indicated she has never seen 4 in a child and will need to consult with her partners. For my son, she discussed doing two incisional cuts and non-mesh surgery..one via umbilical and another incision between the two. For my daughter, one incision between the two. Reading much about reoccurrence and trying to find best practices. My kids have few symptoms, although one of my daughter’s has definitely become larger as time goes by. I heard via a friend about another doc who uses a unique technique locally and has lower reoccurrence. I am now wondering if I should pay out of pocket for a second opinion?

drtowfigh replied 9 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

August 10, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Hernia Repair -abdominal and umbilical

I’ve reached out to my pediatric surgery colleagues for more information. .
    My inclination is to perform primary repairs on all of them (suture, no mesh). I would do them open through the minimum number of incisions as any laparoscopic procedure would require 3 incisions anyway.
    I would place mesh only after (if) they recur.