News Feed Discussions Hernia repair on one side cause hernia on other side?

• Hernia repair on one side cause hernia on other side?

Posted by D on July 24, 2020 at 1:06 pm

Just wondered if there was any information on this out there. An inguinal hernia pure tissue repair on one side , with some tension… would the pulling make the opposite side weaker, increasing the likelihood of a hernia on the other side? I know they put mesh to cover both sides sometimes, as a prophylactic measure… but the pure tissue repair doesn’t offer this protection, no?

Alephy replied 3 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Alephy

July 30, 2020 at 11:54 pm

I personally see it more like this: when someone is straining the abdominal muscles in any way pressure is exerted on both sides of the body. Considering the overall small amount of tissue involved in any hernia I cannot see why this pressure would be any different after the hernia. In fact even on the hernia side there is still the same pressure with a difference in the way part of the tissues then respond as otherwise no hernia would ever get any bigger…

• UhOh!

July 30, 2020 at 12:51 pm

Is it possible that the “got hernia repaired only to get one on the other side” phenomenon is actually:

-Weakness exists on both sides, with greater weakness on side with original hernia.
    -The “stuff” that would fill a hernia sac ends up concentrated on the side with the hernia, protruding through it and leaving less “stuff” (and pressure) to create one on the other side.
    -Hernia gets fixed, that side becomes a strong point, not a weak one, so contents begin protruding through the next weakest point (the already weakened, but not quite broken, other side).

In other words, it’s not a cause and effect relationship (repair = tear on other side) but more a question of a hernia on one side providing less opportunity for one to form on the other side?

• JamesDoncaster

July 28, 2020 at 11:33 pm

One month after the hernia on my right side was repaired (with mesh), I developed a hernia on my left side. There was no indication of a hernia on my left prior to having my right side repaired.

Obviously, not a statistically significant study. But, I find it had to believe this was just a coincidence.

As a side note: I had the left side repaired without mesh, because the mesh on the right caused so much pain that I eventually chose to have it removed. I have had no chronic pain issues on the left side.

• drtowfigh

July 24, 2020 at 10:34 pm

There is no direct relationship. Repairing one side inguinal hernia will not affect the other side.

That said, there is about a 20% lifetime chance the other side will have an inguinal hernia, as it’s a very genetic problem.

• Alephy

July 24, 2020 at 2:01 pm

A doctor mentioned this to me but why should the pressure increase on the other side? I think they like to simplify things as if water was inside the belly…plus this doctor wanted to put mesh in and was making a good story for it..