News Feed Discussions Hernia site pain during menstration?

• Hernia site pain during menstration?

Posted by emotions_of_love on August 3, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Does anyone else have severe hernia site pain during their periods? I have had three hernia surgeries like 9 & 7 years ago… two stomach hernia repairs with mesh and an umbilical hernia.

The stomach pain started several years ago but now it is so intense I am nearly in tears each month and can barely move without sending shocking pain to that area. I have tried looking this up online but can not find anything regarding pain where the mesh was implanted being painful during menstruation.

Does anyone else have this issue?

emotions_of_love replied 8 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • drtowfigh

August 8, 2015 at 7:28 am

Hernia site pain during menstration?

In this situation I would consider looking into the possibility that your hernia may have recurred. The hernia pain is worsened at the time of one’s period. I see that commonly. Hernia pain is also worse with bending, which you also describe.

I recommend you see a general surgeon, preferably the one who repaired your hernias. CT scan would be part of the workup of the examination is suggestive of a hernia recurrence.

If you are looking for a new surgeon, let us know your location and we can recommend colleagues who we believe can provide you with expert consultation.

• emotions_of_love

August 7, 2015 at 1:11 pm

1) I haven’t had a hysterectomy, hence still having my period.

2) The pain typically would start at the tail end of my period and last for 3-4 days. It is 1″ below my skin, above the waist line, right where the mesh is installed. The only other time it will be sore is if I go to the gym (which isn’t very often) or bend a lot at work.

Today is day 8 with no relief. It isn’t fading or passing and it could be described as a constant soreness (7/10 pain scale) with periodic stabbing zings of pain, even when I am at rest.

My insurance when I had my surgeries was wonderful, but I switched jobs 3 years ago and now my insurance is horrible! Hubby wants me to go to the doctor but all they will say is “Lets get a CT and see what’s going on.” translated to lets waste money to guess at what the problem is! I have to pay the first $7,000 before my insurance kicks in a penny which is why I was searching to see if anyone else ever had had this issue. It would be nice to know if it was due to me swelling/retaining water during my period or if it is leaning more towards an issue with the mesh itself.

• drtowfigh

August 7, 2015 at 10:13 am

Pain in general is worse during periods than the rest of the month. It has to do with the hormonal surges. However, the question is why do you have the pain?

If the pain is only during your period, then I agree with Dr Goldstein: you should look into endometriosis as the cause of your pain. Endometriosis is due to uterine lining cells escaping the uterus. They can implant anywhere in your body. The pain is not necessarily at your uterus. In fact it almost never is uterine pain.

Did you have mesh implanted at the time of a hysterectomy? Did you have pain between the time of your original operation and now? If so, of what nature? Do you have pain when you are not on your period?

• emotions_of_love

August 4, 2015 at 1:35 pm

No, I have zero pain in my uterine area, its about 9″ above that, in the exact location I have mesh installed for the hernia repair.

• sngoldstein

August 4, 2015 at 4:33 am

Sounds like
    endometriosis. If a CT
    Scan doesn’t show anything, you need a laparoscopy by a good gynecologist.