News Feed Discussions hernia truss

• hernia truss

Posted by catbird on June 18, 2019 at 7:03 am

Can wearing a truss for inguinal hernia make it worse? I’ve read that it can but can’t find information on how it makes it worse.

edit: upon further research, I think the potential worsening comes from using a rounded pad which can press directly into the hernia and thereby increases the size of the hernia, therefore it’s recommended to use a flat pad.

Km8888 replied 4 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Km8888

July 21, 2019 at 5:58 pm
    quote drtowfigh:

Trusses are helpful if you have pain from a protruding inguinal hernia. Wear it while lying flat in your back and after pushing the hernia back in.
    There is no need or benefit to wear a truss if you don’t have pain or feeling of heaviness.
    Wearing a truss does not cause any problems.

Dr. Towfigh,
    Thank you for this advice. If I am laying down when I put the truss on, it seems to keep the hernia from “herniating” when I stand up.

• catbird

July 21, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Truss doesn’t seem to help me unfortunately. It seems like I have ilioinguinal nerve pain and my hernia isn’t even that big, but the pain is bothersome for the past few years now.

• drtowfigh

July 20, 2019 at 5:50 pm

Trusses are helpful if you have pain from a protruding inguinal hernia. Wear it while lying flat in your back and after pushing the hernia back in.
    There is no need or benefit to wear a truss if you don’t have pain or feeling of heaviness.
    Wearing a truss does not cause any problems.

• DrBrown

July 19, 2019 at 10:04 pm

Dear Catbird.
    The truss will not make the hernia significant worse.
    It it helps, then use the truss until you can have repair.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• Km8888

July 18, 2019 at 9:46 pm

I am as well.
    I have one on order to be delivered this evening, and I’m hoping it can get me through the next month before my consultation. The first big test will be an all afternoon spent standing and walking for a concert this Saturday.
    At least I should have Friday to test it out…

• Forest

July 17, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Yeah, I am wondering about trusses, just to get me to surgery.