News Feed Discussions I continue to decline where abdominal mesh is – haven’t had a bm in 9 days; used an enema and two balls came out. I know mesh removal is necessary

• I continue to decline where abdominal mesh is – haven’t had a bm in 9 days; used an enema and two balls came out. I know mesh removal is necessary

Posted by skaadland on March 21, 2016 at 1:58 am

I have 6″ x 6″ mesh from incisional hernia repair; knew from beginning that things weren’t right and now, I’m afraid, because I’m being poked, distended, cannot wear a bra – anything around area of repair.
    I’m on a doctors list for removal but it’s in 5 months and I’ve been declining.
    What could mesh be doing to cause bowels to be impinged – I knew this, also, after repair, as I’d get buildup and awful abdominal pain.

skaadland replied 8 years ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • drtowfigh

April 6, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I continue to decline where abdominal mesh is – haven’t had a bm in 9 days; used an enema and two balls came out. I know mesh removal is necessary

Of course, what the hospital said is incorrect. All mesh must be logged somewhere. I recommend you get a copy of your entire chart, and find it yourself.

• skaadland

April 6, 2016 at 6:17 am

I continue to decline where abdominal mesh is – haven’t had a bm in 9 days; used an enema and two balls came out. I know mesh removal is necessary

I received a letter from major hospital stating that it is not available….the log. Verified I have to have hernia removed. Major hospital repeatedly told me they are not responsible for keeping implant log which I already knew was not true. I also reported issues with hernia repair several months out but told chronic pain. Any other way I can find out what type of mesh I have? After it was placed, I could no longer wear a bra and I’m rather large busted for a small woman.
    I’m set for removal after PTSD counseling. The hernia repair ruined my life for years yet I couldn’t get anyone from major hospital to accept this.
    Appreciate your willingness to answer questions – rare, indeed, and most helpful.

• drtowfigh

March 31, 2016 at 4:35 am

– the mesh log is part of your medical chart. You should have access to it.
    – CT can provide good information regarding hernia, mesh, etc.
    – removal is dependent on placement of mesh, prior surgery, etc.

• skaadland

March 28, 2016 at 5:05 am

Sandwiched in between the abdominal wall. Is it not unusual to not provide the stamp – the implant log?
    And, do you think mesh can be seen as far as complexity, problems, by a CT scan?
    I’ve been sick for three years; told mesh is fine; happen to have it in four places and it is not fine but it took ME to happen a site about mesh, meet a zealot who was mesh injured who is helping me; my cheerleader, however, patience wearing thin as I’ve lost any quality of life. I stand, excruciating pain rips through me and the domino effect after hernia repair has devastated my life.
    I’d like to know how you treat removal and if you have recommendations for seeing mesh – as I said, the Army doctor did best to do the Jamadar and Reutin test – there’s a void right under breast down to area where hernia was repaired. I cannot wear a bra or anything tight over abdomen. And that’s just the beginning.

• skaadland

March 28, 2016 at 12:09 am

I couldn’t get the hospital to give me the implant information – incisional hernia from an infection – at site where 24″ of colon removed. All I know is lightweight, Ultra Pro but no implant log information. Had the closest thing to Jamadar and Reubin’s ultra sound showing a void under breast to area of repair and wavy mesh, but, the Military doctor who tried very hard, had never done the test and I’m proving the patient should have listened so long ago.
    My bowels have been affected and abdominal pain after hernia repair. I saw one of the top mesh removal surgeons who agreed mesh needs to come out however, PTSD counseling and colorectal surgeon has to be present. I’d like your opinion as one of the highly recommended surgeons.

• drtowfigh

March 26, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Not sure if the mesh was placed inside the abdomen. You can find that out from your operative report. Otherwise, the mesh should not affect intestines.
    Also, it is not common for mesh to cause true constipation. Pain medication can cause that. A bowel regimen to treat constipation is necessary.

What kind of hernia? What brand of mesh? What technique for repair?