News Feed Discussions I have a pain in the thigh after lateral leg exercises, is it an inguinal hernia??

• I have a pain in the thigh after lateral leg exercises, is it an inguinal hernia??

Posted by peter13 on August 5, 2019 at 4:28 pm

hello :rolleyes:
    I’m 6.1. 28yo. 143.3 pounds. very skinny and fit. 3 ultrasounds. 1/3 was a 12-mm hernia.the other two, nothing.

have a very very very small lump in the groin that appears when I am standing. It is soft not hard. has 6 years old I saw it after my appendix surgery.

All this time I have lived normal but a few months ago I feel a pain in the leg after lateral lifting. my groin doesn’t hurt (or at least that’s what I feel) I feel pain near my groin(not so close), from my thigh.
    stays sensitive(It hurts a little[2/10 paint scale] when I flex my leg or walk) then the pain disappears the next day. and comeback after lateral lifting.

Iam very afraid to do tha surgery because I am very thin and can have chronic pain and I also don’t want to gain weight (accumulate fat in the belly) and lose my muscles. I make this post to make a decision, have surgery or don’t have surgery.

DrBrown replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • DrBrown

August 8, 2019 at 7:52 pm

[USER=”2956″]peter13[/USER]
    See you local surgeon to be sure that you have a hernia.
    He/she should be able to determine whether or not you have a hernia on physical examination.
    Ask he/she if you have a direct or indirect hernia.
    In a skinny athlete I always advise a non mesh repair.
    Regards
    Bill Brown MD

• patient

August 6, 2019 at 3:12 pm

[USER=”2956″]peter13[/USER] sorry for the bad news, doctors will tell “you can go back to exercise after 2 or 4 or 6 weeks and have your normal routine” but I don’t believe it (it’s my opinion), you are going to get yourself hurt, so it’s up to you how much do you want to risk yourself….
    Good luck!

• peter13

August 5, 2019 at 8:00 pm
    quote patient:

I haven’t had my operation yet, whatever path you choose you won’t be able to be as active as you are now.

I won’t be able to do my backflips? Pull-up? :confused:

• patient

August 5, 2019 at 7:13 pm

I am not a doctor or an expert, but in my opinion if you wait it will get bigger and it might be a complicated surgery, if you get repaired now, there are 2 types of surgery:

1 Pure tissue repair, only few doctors do it, you will need to find an expert.
    Pros: no chronic pain
    Cons: high risk of recurrence

2 Mesh: Most of the doctors will accept to put a mesh on you, (it seems they get gifts and money from the mesh manufacturers)
    A Open
    Pros: less risk of recurrence, easy to remove the mesh.
    Cons: It seems some people have chronic pain, l

B Laparoscopic
    Pros: less risk of recurrence
    Cons: It seems some people have chronic pain, difficulties removing the mesh

I haven’t had my operation yet, whatever path you choose you won’t be able to be as active as you are now.