News Feed Discussions IH Recovery: Irony and Reality

• IH Recovery: Irony and Reality

Posted by pinto on September 21, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Enslavement it is. I thought being enslaved by my computer to the constant hi-tech change would be my last and only enslavement. Move over IT, my IHs are here. 😀

The irony about IH surgery is it is called “routine,” but it is nothing of the sort. Some say, “the most frequent surgery made.” Rather, it is enslavement. Something routine makes us think it soon can be resolved. Not in the case of IH surgery. Thereafter, it requires life-long attention, in other words enslavement.

But this is not the only irony. Perhaps an even bigger irony is that surgeons generally leave questions about physical rehabilitation to PTs. What do physical therapists know about cause-and-effects about the mysterious ailments of the groin? Nothing unless they are highly trained about it. And even then, they don’t ever ultimately see what surgeons can, both in and out of the body.

Patients hear the advice that strengthening the body core might forestall recurrent herniae. But again this means having to research the ins and outs of the matter. Continued enslavement. My IH has taken up ungodly amounts of my time. It seems a maze we must go through to get the help we need. Even after finding some promising PT exercises on the ‘net, I cannot be assured that these exercises really will strengthen my core without triggering hernia recurrence!

———————

“Routine surgeries” turn to tragedies:

https://www.oginski-law.com/library/young-man-has-hernia-surgery-dies-from-anesthesia-error.cfm

https://www.grayandwhitelaw.com/case_results/routine-hernia-surgery-turned-disaster.cfm

All the more reason I am grateful to the team of Dr. Kang for my very positive experience. What came out about my operation on another thread by a fellow HT member concerning propofol further convinced me how highly expert this doc is.

drtowfigh replied 4 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

January 10, 2020 at 8:30 am

Every hernia repair has an average recurrence rate associated with it. Usually recurrence is related to the type of repair and mostly patient factors, such as cough, straining, nicotine use, obesity, wound healing issues.

• Spartan

January 10, 2020 at 5:07 am

Don’t all of these pure tissue repairs heal? Why would you feel you have to worry more that say 6 months after a pure tissue repair( DeSarda, Marcy, Kang)? Sure you have to stretch the scar tissue, but should n’t it be as strong or stronger after 6 months? I agree with mesh that you have to be continually watchful for rest of your life, it will move on you and etc.

My opinion, I have not gotten mine yet so have no idea, is just be careful & gradual for 6 months and watch how much fiber content you are eating per day as Konstantin Monstyrsky says in Fiber Menace. Again, I think mine is a classic scrotum hernia. So why am I wrong?

• localCivilian

September 22, 2019 at 8:10 pm

Good thoughtful post. As you stated, we really are enslaved in this world of hernias once one develops a hernia. Once you develop one and even after you get it repaired, you really do have to watch over it for life and just hope that nothing goes wrong with the repair as far complications or a recurrence. Even if no complications arise, you still have to continually worry about a recurrence, even with mesh. That hole in your abdominal wall is there for life and any content can just pop right through again at any moment. Really does suck after thinking about it that way, but things happen I guess. The most we can do is watch over it and hope that more extensive research comes out in the hernia repair world. I always ask myself how a procedure so routine and straight forward is yet the one procedure that is hard to perfect.