News Feed Discussions inferior epigastric

• inferior epigastric

Posted by Beenthere on November 9, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Dr Towfigh,

Mele414 just mentioned this and I have a couple of questions about the inferior epigastric vessel in the inguinal area.

Is there any reason during open IH surgery that this would be removed? I can not find any reference to this in medical searches during open surgery but as Mele414 stated during lap surgery.

If the surgeon ripped, tore or cut it by mistake, what type of bleeding would occur?

If they were not prepared for this during surgery(loss of fluids) could this be the cause of no urine in bladder post surgery?

Could they fix it or do they just remove it and use surgical clips? Any side effects?

Should this be in your post op medical history?Should the patient be made aware of this ? Since it might be needed for some future medical issue?

Can any imaging show that it was removed?

Thanks again for all you do for us.

Beenthere replied 7 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • drtowfigh

November 24, 2016 at 5:59 pm

inferior epigastric

Bladder being empty may be a figure of speech. It just means your bladder is not full and therefore you are. It hrinating because you need more fluids, not because your bladder is incapable of emptying and is full .

• Beenthere

November 22, 2016 at 4:17 pm

inferior epigastric

I guess I am still trying tin figure out what had happened to me since my surgeon and hospital would not or could not answer any post surgical questions.

I had open surgery with GA. I was told that I would not need or would be catheterized for the surgery.

After my surgery and my second attempt to pass urine which I could not do I was told that If I could not pass urine on the next attempt that I would be catheterized and than released. They also decided that they would do a ultrasound and found my bladder was empty. The IW was removed way before this.

When I asked a couple other medical professionals they stated loss of fluids or they did not give me enough IV during the surgery.

• drtowfigh

November 20, 2016 at 5:00 am

inferior epigastric

Not sure about your questions BeenThere.

For laparoscopic repair many of us routinely empty the bladder, such as with a urinary catheter. It removes the bladder from our area of surgery.

• Beenthere

November 18, 2016 at 5:39 pm

inferior epigastric

Why would my bladder be empty after surgery?

And it looks like about a 1″ if the vessel was removed.

• drtowfigh

November 14, 2016 at 5:13 pm

inferior epigastric

The inferior epigastric vessels may need to be tied off or clipped during either open or laparoscopic surgery. Usually, this is done because it is in the way of the hernia repair or because a branch was bleeding as part of the dissection in the area.

There is no side effect to this process. Bleeding may occur if a vessel injury is not addressed. It is usually not the cause of poor bladder filling.

The inferior epigastric vessels may be used as part of a breast reconstruction in cases of mastectomy for cancer. It is not a procedure that is commonly used. The plastic surgeons are usually aware of any operations in the area that may affect the vessels, and often the vessels are ultra sounded to determine their caliber in those situations.