News Feed Discussions Inguinal hernia repair and nocturia

• Inguinal hernia repair and nocturia

Posted by geoedief on February 23, 2023 at 4:19 pm

Just a shot in the dark but has anyone noticed an improvement in any nocturia symptoms after an inguinal hernia repair?

I did and so wonder if it might be a common (beneficial) side effect of the surgery

My reasoning is that my inguinal hernia symptoms may have been very mild for a good many years before I first noticed the bulge and somehow affecting my urge to go (not much but noticeable in hindsight)

After the surgery everything felt a bit diffrent down there and ,as the effects of the surgery wore off I began to wonder whether my frequency of urination at night had possibly improved compared to before the surgery

Does this “ring a bell” with anyone or maybe might they have had an opposite experience?

My own inguinal surgery, now some 9 months ago was very successful with hardly any remaining discomfort or side effects apart from some numbness at the top of the inner leg.

drtowfigh replied 1 year, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

February 23, 2023 at 6:19 pm

You are right!

Inguinal hernias can cause pelvic floor spasm. This can result in urinary frequency as well as other possible pelvic floor ailments. Hernia repair can thereby improve pelvic floor spasm and urinary symptoms.