News Feed Discussions Inguinal hernia?

• Inguinal hernia?

Posted by spot28 on September 7, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I am a 46 yr old female who had a double inguinal hernia repair as a baby. About two months ago, I started having very quick pains on the left side. It was not a doubled-over cramp, just a quick pinch. I could not isolate an activity sometimes, standing, other times sitting, etc. This occurred a few times a day, other days as much as 60 times. I sometimes think I see a small lump in the crease area to the left of my groin, but not very obvious. I finally made an appt.. MD said hernias rare in females and sent me to OBGYN. OBGYN said everything else checked out fine, he thought he may have felt it when I did a sit-up, but really was unsure as well. He sent me to a hernia surgeon. I have an appt later this month. Now for about 4 days I have had a reprieve…no pains at all. While this is good news, does this sound typical of a hernia to just stop feeling any symptoms? Wondering if I should take a wait and see approach now, or just get it checked out for future reference.

spot28 replied 8 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • drtowfigh

November 29, 2015 at 5:51 am

Update: hernia repair

So awesome to hear!

Continue to spread the word about our forum.

• spot28

November 27, 2015 at 1:18 am

Update: hernia repair

Update: had surgery laparoscopically one week ago. He found two femoral hernias and removed scar tissue–said my uterus was “plastered” to my c-section scar. Repaired the hernias with lightweight mesh. I am still recovering so not sure yet the net benefit but I am feeling positive. Surgeon was fabulous. Thanks again for all the input. Drs. Earle and Towfigh were right on the money!!!!

• drtowfigh

October 3, 2015 at 6:14 am

Inguinal / Femoral hernia?

Congratulations!

Lightweight mesh is suitable for many thin Patients.

Please let your surgeon know about our forum!

• Chaunce1234

October 1, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Excellent! Please keep us posted as to what happens. Best of luck. DE

• spot28

October 1, 2015 at 2:20 am

Went for second opinion today with a surgeon specializing in laproscopy. He said he could feel the hernia, not sure if it is femoral or inguinal but could repair using laproscopy which I was looking for so the mesh could be placed under the muscle. Thanks to this board I did bring up the topic of mesh since I am slender and have reads posts about thin persons feeling the mesh more readily. He said he would use a mesh that did not require titanium clippings. I am very pleased to find the right doctor.

• Chaunce1234

September 17, 2015 at 12:31 am

Inguinal hernia?

It is definitely not the case, as I have done that often. It is not a good idea to ask the surgeon to do something they are not comfortable with. It’s not that they’re a bad surgeon, that is just not in their tool box. And an open hernia repair is not a bad option either, but in your case, the laparoscopy may be an added benefit.

• spot28

September 17, 2015 at 12:17 am

Inguinal hernia?

Thank you Dr. E! Your response is well -appreciated. He made it seem like laparascopy was never an option after c-section due to scar tissue…now you have me thinking more seriously about my options. I take from your response this is not the case.

• Chaunce1234

September 17, 2015 at 12:06 am

Inguinal hernia?

The real question is whether or not your hernia is the cause of your symptoms. The only way to find out is to repair the hernia and see what happens. It can easily be done via laparoscopy, but not by that surgeon. Laparoscopy would also have the benefit of looking in the pelvis, and releasing any scar tissue seen as well. May (emphasis on May) increase the odds of pain relief if more could be done, since it’s not clear exactly what is causing it. You may want to find a surgeon that feels comfortable approaching this laparoscopically. Hope this helps!

• spot28

September 16, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Inguinal hernia?

Update: Just went to follow up appt with general surgeon and he confirmed I have a hernia–said he could feel it when I was standing up. He thinks it is femoral, however, and not inguinal. Said he could tell better once he “got in there.” He said this is common in thin women (I am 93 lbs.) Does not believe related to the inguinal hernia I had as a baby. Since I have had a c-section he can not repair using laparoscopy .

• drtowfigh

September 14, 2015 at 4:42 am

Inguinal hernia?

Read recent post on “Chronic Lower Left Quadrant Pain”
    http://herniatalk.com/hernia-discussion/1078-chronic-lower-left-quadrant-pain.html

• Chaunce1234

September 9, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Inguinal hernia?

Your pain is not specific for hernia. Ask the surgeon if you would be a candidate for a diagnostic laparoscopy with both the hernia surgeon and gyn surgeon participating. Also ask if an MRI is appropriate. Hope this helps!

• sandiego

September 9, 2015 at 6:11 am

Inguinal hernia?

I am just another forum member but I have read hernia cases where the pain can come and go. Its always good to be seen by a Dr when you are having pain!

• spot28

September 9, 2015 at 2:19 am

Inguinal hernia?

Update: today I started having more pains again. Guess the reprieve was short lived, these are a bit duller but with less frequency as befor. Any insight?