News Feed Discussions Inguinal Mesh Repair Painful

• Inguinal Mesh Repair Painful

Posted by NickRenton on March 9, 2017 at 1:03 am

Hello,

I had an inguinal hernia on my right side repaired last Friday. Was extremely painful the first few days and now that that has abated having a serious new issue. When walking even a few steps it feels like barbed wire is under my skin in an area a few inches below my scar and into my inner right thigh. Is this a normal effect of recovery? It’s scaring the hell out of me because it’s lasted days now and has shown no sign of improvement. Please reassure me if this is to be expected and will fade with time.

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

March 12, 2017 at 8:01 pm

What you describe (barbed wire under the skin and into the inner thigh) is suggestive of nerve pain, specifically the ilioinguinal nerve. This may be temporary and just due to inflammation in the area, which will resolve. Anti-inflammatories, such as Aleve, may help with this until your are fully recovered. If it is severe, then neuropathic pain can be temporized with a local injection of anesthetic with or without steroids. A surgeon or pain medicine physician can help with that.