News Feed Discussions Interesting article found on Science Daily on new mesh.

• Katherine

January 28, 2021 at 6:41 am

Hi Alephy, I don’t know about previous issues with 3D mesh, but am hoping better hernia repairs are in our future. It sounds like doctors like Dr. Towfigh are on the forefront of helping us with things like robotic tissue repair. I still don’t like the idea of any mesh, but understand that for some people, it’s the only option. I remember when I was younger, the talk was about hernia surgery being one of the first (and easiest) surgeries that residents learn. I don’t know how true this is, but it made you believe that it was just an easy surgery. I’m glad I at least had the sense to search around when I had my first hernia repair back in 1994 and found an older surgeon that was competent in tissue repair. His repair has lasted me through a lot of heavy weightlifting in my younger days with no issues whatsoever. As I get older, I don’t know what will happen with it, but he did a really good job. Wish he was still around to do my other one.

• Alephy

January 27, 2021 at 9:15 am

I also read not so long ago of a new 3d mesh that allows for healthy tissue regrowth (no scar tissue). I am wondering if 3d meshes are coming back somehow, without the terrible side effects of the first ones hopefully…