News Feed Discussions Irritable Bowel Syndrom (IBS) and hernias

• Irritable Bowel Syndrom (IBS) and hernias

Posted by drtowfigh on December 14, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Some patients can have intermittent entrapment of their small intestine in a hernia. This may cause bloating, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal cramping or contractions, and pain. You may be diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, when in fact you have a hernia either in the groin, or, more likely, in the umbilicus (belly button) or at a prior incision. If the pain is correlated with certain activities, such as hiking, coughing, etc., and not with foods, then look into ruling out a hidden hernia as the cause of your pain.

kdodeen replied 5 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • kdodeen

September 3, 2018 at 4:08 am

Hello Dr.
    I was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia after doing an ultrasound. I have had change in bowel habits, mostly stool looks and feels constipated (I don’t have blood in it) and I do pass stool every day and I feel bloated.
    1 month ago I did a fecal calprotectin test and a full blood checkup. Everything was normal with the blood. But my fecal calprotectin was 415..(I was on a PPI) and they are known to elevate the FCP level. After 1 week I repeated the FCP and it went down to 213 (which is still high).

My question is, do you think my issues are all related to the hernia or could I also have bowel inflammation. The GP said I don’t have to go to the gastroenterologist but I wanted a second opinion.
    PS. my hernia is movable (so I don’t believe it’s entrapped).

I’d appreciate your advice.

Thanks

• jzinckgra

October 27, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Well I thought my problems we’re long gone. After my last post in January, I saw my GI doc who ruled out anything GI related. By April or so, left side pain was gone until about 2 weeks ago. Now I’m having the exact same issues as before. Interestingly, the pain where the hernia was repaired began around the same time as last year, Oct. 2016. The only thing I can think of is working out more at the gym and weight lifting recently. Typically, I resort to cycling during the summer into Fall with little lifting, which probably explains the lack of pain during this time. But, anyways, it’s the same old issue as before. Feels good when I get up, but pain starts after any activity, worse when sitting, better when walking around. Seems like a correlation to less pain right after a bowel movement, then pain returns. As much as I want to believe the GI doc, I still can’t dismiss the possibility of it being GI related, although the gym correlation is strong too. Aggrevating. …

• drtowfigh

February 6, 2017 at 4:39 am

Irritable Bowel Syndrom (IBS) and hernias

short answer: yes, hernias can cause bloating and GI related symptoms even if there is fat and no actual intestine inside the hernia.

• jzinckgra

January 19, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Man, I am sick and tired of this pain. Everyday lately has been the same. I lay in bed just before getting up and the gas buildup on left side begins just under the rib then down to inguinal spot of my repair. The gas is released, I feel momentarily better, then the cycles continues. Once I get out of bed, the pain pretty much goes away until I start my daily routine, then the inguinal region hurts off/on all day.

I have a GI appt tomorrow, but not sure what he is really going to say. Some days it seems like IBS, then others, I’m convinced it’s hernia related. I really don’t want to go through a bunch of tests. Since end of Sept, I’ve had pelvic CT scan, US to look at potential hernia on other side, blood test and temp check to rule out infection (diverticulitis). Last colonoscopy was 2 years ago, so don’t think there is anything nefarious causing the issue.

I could always go back to my surgeon that did lapro, but not sure what he’ll say. Maybe I should request MRI to see if patch has moved or in some way been compromised. When I saw Dr G end of Nov, he said it sounded like post-surgical pain.

One final thing. Having sex lately hurts a bit in the inguinal region and when I go to urinate I get some pain after that quickly subsides.
    Very frustrated.

• jzinckgra

January 17, 2017 at 5:21 pm

quote :

yes, fat containing hernias can cause GI symptoms, such as bloating, but usually not of cramping, unless it is a muscle cramp (not intestinal cramp).

in most situations, I make the correlation between hernia and activity-related symptoms. I do not necessarily have to see the actual intestine stuck in the hernia to make a convincing diagnosis. It is thus not critical to get an ultrasound, for example, immediately at the time of a hernia attack.

Dr. T,

Can fecal material moving through an area of recent (7 month) inguinal repair cause pain? I’ve mentioned in another thread I am trying to figure out if my pain is IBS or post-surgical related. Also, do you know if the area in the inguinal region also contains the sigmoid colon?

One other thing to mention is that when this pain started over 2months ago, I was also feeling some twitching inside at the site of repair. It would last for a min or two and I felt it off/on for several days, but not recently.

• drtowfigh

January 17, 2017 at 4:27 pm

yes, fat containing hernias can cause GI symptoms, such as bloating, but usually not of cramping, unless it is a muscle cramp (not intestinal cramp).

in most situations, I make the correlation between hernia and activity-related symptoms. I do not necessarily have to see the actual intestine stuck in the hernia to make a convincing diagnosis. It is thus not critical to get an ultrasound, for example, immediately at the time of a hernia attack.

• Irritable Bowel Syndrom (IBS) and hernias

Dr. Towfigh, thank you for your post. Is it possible to have abdominal cramping/digestive symptoms if the hernia contains only fat?

Also, if entrapment of the small intestine can be intermittent, is it important to get an ultrasound (or other scan) while experiencing symptoms? In other words, would it only be detected while it is painful and therefore likely entrapped?

Thank you.

• marcello71

January 15, 2017 at 1:02 am

What really sucks is the IBS that can result from adhesions to the bowel…

Also diverticulitis, urinary frequency/incontinence that can occur from adhesions.

Not to sound too negative but I mean wow we do risk a lot when we let implants go into our abdomen. All the possible perforations from edges & migration? Not to mention tacks migrating?

God forbid a patient ever gets punched in the gut during a bar fight or something, it could mean certain death.

Sorry just venting my concerns I guess…

• idoncov

January 14, 2017 at 4:49 pm

This is very illuminating for me to read after 3 years. I have had intermittent entrapment in the upper abdomen for 5 years now. However, since the umbilical hernia was repaired I haven’t had a cramp in that area once. I thought it was IBS all these years. Now, it no longer seems to be. I still have cramping in the lower abdomen but that may be due to the failed inguinal hernia repair. All this is speculation but it makes sense in my case.