News Feed Discussions Is biologic mesh an option for an elective repair?

• Is biologic mesh an option for an elective repair?

Posted by Unknown Member on January 19, 2018 at 6:24 am

I have bilateral inguinal hernias. Likely direct and small.

In my reading about mesh options I’ve come to learn that a biologic mesh promotes the growth of Type 1 collagen (vs Type 3 for permanent and Type 1 is far stronger) and that the rate of recurrence is comparable to other mesh options, at least initially (long term is unknown).

Am I crazy to think that a biologic mesh is a great way to go for someone with small hernias who would prefer to avoid permanent mesh and accepts the long term recurrence risk?

Also, does anyone know what a biologic mesh costs? Older information sources indicate they are quite expensive but it seems there are more options recently.

Extra credit, can a doctor skilled in standard mesh placement via TEP simply replace the standard mesh with a biologic?

LeviProcter replied 6 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • LeviProcter

January 20, 2018 at 12:22 am

Biologic implants that are not hybrid implants are not permanent. They go away.

The biologic implant serves as a lattice for your body’s tissue to grow into and ultimately replace in time.

However, we don’t have any that allow significant collagen (scar) deposition. They allow blood supply and other tissue ingrowth.

Therefore, when they’re absorbed your reply depends on the degree of tissue healing through mesh.

They generally are reserved for very high risk situations and have a poor long term success rate for maintaining inguinal hernia repair.

I would not recommend for most elective inguinal hernia repairs.

• Jnomesh

January 19, 2018 at 3:38 pm

Biological mesh is permanent implant.