News Feed Discussions Is CTScan safe for people with mesh

• Is CTScan safe for people with mesh

Posted by wilfred on February 28, 2018 at 12:28 am

I was suppose to get an MRI with Valsalva which basically I handed myself with correct language to my GP which finally was approved by insurance. On the day of my appointment I called and talked to the technician to read me the correct language my GP has sent them. She read it exactly as what I gave to my GP but she told me they don’t do anymore MRI with Valsalva. I was so upset and told her about the code they can put in MRI ( as suggested by Dr. Twifig) to get the Valsalva. She put me on hold and talked to the radiologist and came back with the same answer ” we don’t do anymore MRI with Valsalva” This is one of the largest hospital and I even called some other imaging center and same answer. Technician was nice to call my doctor (GP) and advised me to get CT scan with contrast for abdomen and pelvis instead of MRI. She said because I am having pain due to tacks placed in the non hernia side it will show better in CT scan. Also she suggested that MRI shall create ghost images of tacks which may jeopardize diagnosis. So we filed again with insurance for CT scan of abdomen and pelvis with contrast. I did not want abdomen but they won’t do it only for pelvis as she said the order has been written for both and cannot be separated. So here is my question. Is it safe to get CT scan when you have a mesh implanted? Somewhere on this site I read CT scan can distort the mesh. I asked the technician who flatly denies it causes any distortion. But I have suffered a lot first getting my hernia repaired with mesh by blindly trusting my surgeon and not doing my homework by going through a forum like this before the surgery. Every step I am taking now is first going through this forum as this forum gives one of the most honest opinion. So please advise me if anyone knows about the effect of CTScan on mesh distortion. Thanks again.
    Wilfred

jerseattlewa replied 6 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jerseattlewa

March 7, 2018 at 5:46 pm

THE GOLD STANDARD FOR SEEING MESH IS ULTRASOUND. MESH IS ECHOGENIC. Sometimes CT or X-ray can see mesh. Sometimes MRI can see mesh (some mesh manufacturers have added metal flakes to aid detection). Professor Dr. Raz who has removed over 900 meshes only uses ultrasound. Professor Dr. Elizabeth Mueller only uses ultrasound to see mesh. As she says: “Its the only modality we have that sees mesh.” Do a Google search and a youtube search with these terms: Dr. Mueller mesh ultrasound. Also do a Google search using these terms: Dr Raz mesh ultrasound imaging. I have hernia mesh. As these two doctors work on females they use 3D ultrasound, but ordinary 2D ultrasound works. I had a CT scan done and it showed nothing. I then had a standard 2D ultrasound done and it showed the mesh instantly. Just make sure the sonographer is experienced and ask them to show it to you when they find it. If you have a CT scan or MRI that shows the mesh your lucky. And, the CT scan and MRI might be of some benefit in at least showing the surgeon your structures and locations. During surgery to remove mesh, or right before, doppler ultrasound can be used to see arteries and veins. If its an open surgery that is of less value as the surgeon can see structures directly. The risk for men in hernia mesh removal is that the cord to the testicle can be damaged and you end up having to have your testicle removed. I’ve been told a few times by surgeons and assistant’s to them that is a 50/50 chance. The problem is that when it was installed the mesh was wrapped around the cord. So, it takes some skill to remove it without damaging it. However, for the few surgeons that do hernia mesh removals on a regular basis I’ve been told the rate is much lower, in the single digits. One surgeon has stated that you have to remove 50 meshes before you really know how to do it.

• Jnomesh

March 1, 2018 at 10:47 pm

Dr.igor Belyanski is a expert in reading cat scans. If all comes back normal I’d send a CD scan to him and see what he has to say..
    i to have heard that CT scan can damage the mesh or harden it but I’m not sure if it is true or not. Maybe Dr. Towfigh can chime in. My feeling is this maybe true but that you most likely wluld have to have a lot of scans to have this kind of affect.

• wilfred

March 1, 2018 at 10:45 pm

Thanks Chance123 for the reply. What I meant was if the x-rays used in the CTScan can distort or effect the mesh used. Somewhere I read that the x-rays used in CT scan can distort or deform the mesh. I don’t know how much that is correct.

• Chaunce1234

March 1, 2018 at 3:32 am

Dr Towfigh has a lot of experience reading scans and likely would be a great resource for this. Perhaps send her clinic an email directly?