News Feed Discussions Is mesh removal safe?

• Mesh

March 13, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Great answer Dr T. Thats realistic and your consultation on neurectomies is very honest. Question: When you say you present your own data on removals I don’t think it’s clear on why you are just generalizing mesh removal when you’re stating that inguinal hernias are more dangerous than abdominal wall hernias etc. Isn’t important to add more details what kind of removals were done so that patients just don’t think mesh removal is just a one type of procedure?

Also is it possible to clot and die from complications from mesh removal years out of surgery?

• drtowfigh

March 12, 2017 at 8:09 pm

In general, if performed by a skilled surgeon, especially one who performs mesh removal on a regular basis: Yes, mesh removal is safe.

Of course, it can happen, but it would be expectedly rare to have a death, loss of limb, or other devastating complication from mesh removal.

I presented my own data on mesh removal after inguinal hernias. 84% had improvement in their pain, of which 22% had a cure (pain of 0/10 or 1/10). However, it is not necessarily a cure-all. 16% had no improvement or worse pain after surgery. They required more procedures, including nerve blocks, cord denervation, etc.

Mesh removal for infection is much safer and easier to perform.

Mesh removal from the abdominal wall is much safer and easier to perform than from the groin

• QueenR

March 9, 2017 at 12:33 am

I had my rather large mesh removed in December because of infection. They were able to do the surgery for removal laparoscopic… which was fantastic at the time. A couple of weeks ago my abdominal wall opened up and now I have a very large hernia.

Page 2 of 2