News Feed Discussions Is this normal or should I see my doctor?

• Is this normal or should I see my doctor?

Posted by Unknown Member on November 14, 2016 at 4:51 pm

I had a double hernia repair on September 9th. It is now November 14, a little over three months after my surgery. My doctor told me in some cases it could take anywhere from 6 months to a year before I feel 100% normal.

While 95% of my pain is gone, every once in a while I get a sharp pain about 7″ down from my belly button (right above my groin). The pain is usually in the middle of that area (it doesn’t favor either the right or left side) and disappears in about 30 seconds. This happens maybe 0-3 times a day.

Is this normal or should I go see my doctor?

Phentis replied 7 years ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Phentis

April 10, 2017 at 8:05 pm
    quote AFG034:

It’s now 8 months after my surgery and still have slight headaches and dizziness (although they have subsided a great deal since my last post). I’ve seen two neurologists, both agree there’s nothing wrong. I feel healthy for the most part, except some slight muscles weakness for taking so long to get back to my normal routine.

I also did notice that I had some dull pain in my groin area. I had this a few months after the surgery and it went away, now I feel it again. It’s very dull and sometimes it occurs when I’m sitting.

Am I just going crazy? I feel like I just haven’t been myself since the surgery.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep posting.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    April 10, 2017 at 6:12 pm

It’s now 8 months after my surgery and still have slight headaches and dizziness (although they have subsided a great deal since my last post). I’ve seen two neurologists, both agree there’s nothing wrong. I feel healthy for the most part, except some slight muscles weakness for taking so long to get back to my normal routine.

I also did notice that I had some dull pain in my groin area. I had this a few months after the surgery and it went away, now I feel it again. It’s very dull and sometimes it occurs when I’m sitting.

Am I just going crazy? I feel like I just haven’t been myself since the surgery.

• drtowfigh

November 28, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Is this normal or should I see my doctor?

Most likely, no.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    November 25, 2016 at 11:41 pm

I totally forgot this forum when I had another question.

It’s now been a few months since my surgery. Out of the blue I developed headaches and slight dizziness. I’ve hd blood tests and MRIs and they call come back normal. Could this be related to the mesh?

• drtowfigh

November 14, 2016 at 5:16 pm

I would seek a visit to your surgeon if the pain/symptoms are affecting your daily activities.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    November 14, 2016 at 5:01 pm

At what point do you think it’s important to see a doctor? Like you said, it could be chronic. I don’t have any rash, no lumps and zero pain in the area’s I had before the surgery. This new pain only just started.

• drtowfigh

November 14, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Small twinges, catches, or even pain may continue after some hernia repairs. This is usually within the normal. It is why there is this quote of 20% “chronic pain” after hernia repair. It includes these types of symptoms.
    With time, they reduce, but in some patients we see that they never go away.