News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion large incisional hernia repair

• large incisional hernia repair

Posted by Piyush on December 15, 2023 at 9:16 pm

Hello,

I’ 66 Years old, 6’2″ tall at 173Lb, and Type 2 Diabetic for 30+ years with a large 9 cm incisional hernia from a prior surgery for Small Bowel Obstruction (SBO). The Surgeon I consulted here at UCSF is recommending open repair with mesh but I’m worried about complications of mesh repair. Laned on this board while doing some basic research about the procedure and looking to learn from this board about the following questions/concerns, both from other members who have gone through this procedure, and of course from Dr Towfiqh and other accomplished surgeons on this board.

1. Can such large incisional hernia be safely repaired without mesh and with minimal chances for recurrence if I maintain low BMI with low belly fat post-surgery?

2. If mesh repair is the best option for my condition, how are mesh ends tacked on to the internal tissue and can that stitching break or shift inside ?

3. Can the smaller inside space for the stomach content following mesh reinforcement increase the chances of recurrence of Small Bowel Obstruction (SBO) since I already had it once before 6 years ago?

4. How long does it typically take for patients to recover to completely normal life without any pain or discomfort?

5. How long the mesh can actually last?

6. Any other advise/encouragement from people who have had mesh repair for large incisional hernia repair?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses!

Regards,

-Piyush

drtowfigh replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

December 17, 2023 at 3:05 pm

Retromuscular mesh placement is the best choice.

• drtowfigh

December 15, 2023 at 9:27 pm

1. no

2. Depends on the technique

3. No

4. weeks to months

5. Lifetime

• Piyush

December 15, 2023 at 11:08 pm

Hello Dr Towfigh,

My sincere gratitude for your prompt reply on Friday evening with your busy schedule! Watched couple of your YouTube videos including one on incisional hernia just yesterday and found them very informative.

As fort the technique for mesh repair for large incisional hernias per se, is there a particular technique that is proven to be more reliable for lasting and stable repair? I know it will be up to my surgeon to make that decision in my best interest but knowing a little more about how that decision may be made will allow me to have a meaningful conversation with my surgeon.

Thank you so much, Mary X’mas, and Happy Holidays!

Regards,

-Piyush