News Feed Discussions Left Inguinal hernia post operation numbness followed by pain still ongoing.

• Left Inguinal hernia post operation numbness followed by pain still ongoing.

Posted by TonyD on May 1, 2018 at 8:02 pm

In 2004 I had a left inguinal hernia operation which was repaired using mesh. After the operation an infection set in which took three months to cure.
    In 2005, six months after the operation I was stepping out of a bath, extended my left leg and it gave way with my full weight on it. I lost control of my knee, upper and lower surface of my left leg and the 3 centre toes. After the torn muscles repaired themselves I also noticed a change in the feeling when making love and the lack of feeling in my scrotum. It remained like this until 2011.
    In 2011 my leg gave way again when extending it. To prevent going straight down onto my ankle I used my walking stick to push myself backwards. I landed flat on my back and winded myself. The next day I woke with my left upper front surface of my leg on fire with pain. Only an ethanol alcohol product could cool it down when applied every 2 hours. After a few weeks the inside of my left upper leg was still very sensitive, my toes were clamped tight together and a climax felt like a burning sensation.
    It took an L4 nerve block to give me more movement and another hernia just above my previous operation to find problems.
    I used an anti-inflammatory cream to reduce the pain in my groin area which allowed me to press the bulge down. Then I noticed another hernia in my lower groin which I think may have been there since 2005. I pushed this up and under the muscles around my groin. I also noticed it extended down into my scrotum which I also pushed up. But as soon as I stand up the hernia drops down again When I pushed it up to the point of my original operation I noticed a lump. The lump was stationary, hard, pea sized and close to my pelvic floor. I rubbed my nail over it when checking its size. After the check I noticed the femoral nerve down the inside of my upper leg was very sensitive after rubbing the lump. So I found where the femoral nerve might be affected. But why I don’t know.
    I don’t know why my original hernia operation area requires anti-inflammatory cream to reduce pain or why that lump appears to be attached to my femoral nerve. The femoral nerve down the inside of my left leg feels like its pulled tight which is a symptom of a trapped nerve. Could it be a staple trapping my nerve? I have spoken to a hernia consultant, (accidentally jumped the queue), and he stated it was a 1 in 10,000 chance but not impossible. It stings and can be very painful, increasingly when walking.
    Can anyone elaborate on what can cause the swelling in around my original hernia are and groin or any other point in this problem.

Unknown Member replied 6 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Unknown Member

May 2, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Sorry to hear what you are going through. Mesh will cause a lot of inflammation itself. You may have a recurrence or a seroma. The mesh will get very stiff over time. If they used tacks to fixate the mesh they could have went through a nerve or your nerves can be entrapped by the scar tissue that the mesh causes. When they fixate mesh with tacks it can cause pulling even more, a lot of surgeons do not fixate mesh because they know it can cause problems and the 1 in 10,000 is not accurate in my opinion, mesh causes pain itself and fixations like tacks do also. I would think the Genital branch of the Genitofemoral nerve is the nerve causing problems, it provides feeling to the inner thigh and lateral scrotum while the femoral nerve is more of the outside of the thigh. An ultrasound guided nerve block of the Genital branch and ilioinguinal nerve would tell you which one is causing problems. I wish you the best of luck!