News Feed Discussions Lumbar Hernia – Mesh Patch

• Lumbar Hernia – Mesh Patch

Posted by NickRenton on May 28, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I had a left side lumbar hernia surgery in 2011 — the repair was made with a mesh. Immediately, after the surgery, I felt like I could not breathe — it was very tight.

To this day, it is restrictive to my breathing. Has anyone had that complication?

The patch is attached to the serratus, Latisimus Dorsi, and another muscle, maybe one that is an accessory to breathing.

Can the mesh be removed, andthe hernia repaired without a patch?

Will the absense of the patch release the tension and discomfort?

drtowfigh replied 9 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

June 11, 2014 at 12:00 am

Lumbar Hernia – Mesh Patch

That is a tough one. Lumbar hernias are very rare. It is possible that you had a tight repair, with mesh, plus… mesh shrinks, so it is possible that the tight repair became even tighter with time. Also, mesh does not stretch, so it may feel even tighter.

The technique and operative findings should be reviewed, based on your operative report. I doubt there is any direct relation to your lungs, diaphragm, and breathing. It may just be a bit too tight.

Removal of the mesh is complicated and should only be done by a surgeon with experience in doing so, after determining that that is the problem.

If anyone else has experience with lumbar hernias, please offer your advice on this site.