News Feed Discussions Mesh removal

• Mesh removal

Posted by NFG12 on July 25, 2017 at 8:11 pm

I had bilateral Tep hernia repair with 3d max mesh and had it removed after having it in 19 months.
    It was removed Robotically and there were no hernias on either side when it was removed and they removed 1 nerve also.

My question is what are the pro’s and con’s of closing the peritoneum after mesh removal and not closing it? Do some surgeon’s just prefer to leave it open because there is no more mesh being put in?
    It says Retroperitoneal removal, what does that mean also if it was put in the Tep method?

Herniator replied 6 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Herniator

September 27, 2017 at 9:10 pm

I’d go with Dr Towfigh’s suggestions

• drtowfigh

August 15, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Dr. Ramshaw is always an excellent choice. Also, Dr. Igor Belyansky (MD), David Chen (CA), and of course, I am happy to review your situation and see how I can help you.

• Herniator

August 13, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Thanks for clarification – I would inject your groin nerves with anaesthetic and steroid in the first instance under ultrasound guidance – if the pain is resolved (usually lasts a few days only) then I would consider nerve division with mesh removal – however a course of nerve pain killers is still worth a shot ?

• NFG12

August 13, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Hey there chris! I went through the same situation you are bro. I had very small hernias that I could have watched and waited for a long time and I wish that I would have never had them repaired its been hell ever since. I never even had pain on either side before the mesh was put in it was 3d max also, which has also been recalled before and it has still been causing a lot of problems. It has a tendency to attach itself to the spermatic cord and it also has a tendency to fold in upon itself. Once it was put in me bilaterally I knew right after it was done that something wasn’t right and the pain just got worse and worse over time. Mesh is a foreign body and is made usually of polypropylene which I have read is not supposed to be implanted into the human body ever! Some people are good with mesh and some are not. Hernia surgery itself escpecially with mesh can cause up to 30% of chronic pain for patients which is very high. The FDA doesn’t even thoroughly do testing on the meshes that these companys put out and these companys make millions. Surgeons say the mesh is stronger than just sewing up a hernia with stitches but its really not even the mesh that holds the repair it is the fibrosis that the mesh induces which causes very dense scar tissue in the area where the mesh is placed, therefore it can restrict movement and scar tissue in itself can cause pain. I had tacks to and those are always know to cause problems and pain. Mesh can also cause auto immune problems also, a lot is finally coming out about mesh because of the problems arising from it. I had my 3d max removed about 7 months ago, it started to fold in on the sides and it attached to my nerves also. I can tell the difference, I don’t have to use the bathroom every 20 minutes, I don’t feel sick all the time, it doesn’t feel so dense down there with movement now but there is still a little pain that I hope will still improve over the next 5 months. There are quite a few surgeons that can deal with post op groin pain which is tough to deal with. Dr. Ramshaw in TN, He has probably done the most removals and research on mesh. Dr. Igor Belyansky in MD, Dr. Shirin Towfigh who runs this site, Dr. MIcheal J Rosen in OH.
    Whatever way the mesh was put in that’s the way it needs to come out.

Best of luck my brother!

• Chris

August 12, 2017 at 5:07 pm

No Herniator I didn’t have that pain before the hernia repair and it was my first time mesh ever was used on me, The Pain is a very sharp and sensitive to the touch. Its gets worst when I move around alot. There are somedays it hurt so bad I cant ever stand up straight and effects my walking. I can feel something moving around inside move me. My doctors have already have done X-ray,CT,colonoscopy and lab test. They thought it could be my kidney stones. That came back negative no kidney issues. They through my pancreatic and that back negative. Its frustrating being in pain and feeling sick all the time. Doctors not giving me answers of whats going on. The only doctor understand whats wrong with me is Dr. Ramshaw. I just feel very uneasy with him. I have heard not so good outcome. I looking for someone that can help me.

• Herniator

August 12, 2017 at 8:21 am

Hi

Did you have pain before the mesh was used to repair your hernia? you will need a thorough assessment with nerve mapping, magnetic scans and also an XR – do you know if tacks were used to fixated the mesh and is your pain more of a discomfort or sharp irritation when you touch the sensitive area (latter related to nerve pain, former maybe mesh related?) You must be aware that mesh removal may not make the pain better?

• Chris

August 11, 2017 at 12:44 am

Iam new to the message Blog Name Chris from Atlanta had hernia repair with Bard 3D Max mes about 2 years ago. Its been a complete nightmare for me. The pain someday so bad I cant walk somedays It feel like someone is stabbing with something sharp in my mid section. I had all kinds of test done to try to find my pain. My doctors cant seem to tell me. Where its coming from. After reading some of the messages at least. I know Iam not going mad. I been trying to find a Surgeon with experience at hernia mesh removal. Iam with Kasier there are know help. I know the pain now is coming from my Hernia mesh implants. I have 2 bard 3D max mesh……..I was thinking about going to the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio or the Mayo Clinic to find a surgeon. I have meet with Dr. Bruce Ramshaw and he told me it was the mesh. Can anyone help me.

• drtowfigh

August 6, 2017 at 8:02 pm

If not mesh in the space, there is no major difference between closing and not closing the peritoneum. Urologists routinely do not close the peritoneum when performing prostatectomy. The body eventually closes or regrows peritoneum to cover the area.