News Feed Discussions Mesh Removal

• Mesh Removal

Posted by LosAngeles82 on September 6, 2015 at 2:32 am

Hello,

I had robotic bilateral inguinal hernia repair with biologic mesh (Lifecell Strattice mesh) 6 weeks ago. After surgery, I developed a 100 degree fever, left armpit lymph node swelled up, had terrible sweats, burning eyes, pounding heart, random fully body goosebumps, and felt sick. My heart rate also jumped up from 60 to 90. My fever resolved in a day, but I still have hot flashes/sweats especially at night, pounding heart, goosebumps, and my left lymph node has not fully resolved. I also get weird nerve sensations of a numb quality on the surface of my skin on my legs. As of two weeks ago, I have started to feel more sick for longer periods. I am very cold during the day, have malaise, and feel very run down. My testosterone has also plummeted. My nervous system and immune system feel like they are on overdrive. Before all this I was very healthy with immaculate blood tests (including my testosterone).

I have seen my primary care doctor, a cardiologist, neurologist, rheumatologist, and spoke with several surgeons. The consensus is that I am reacting to the mesh, either as a heightened foreign body response or some sort of allergic response. Every blood test I have taken has come up negative except my testosterone. My white blood count and SED rate are normal.

I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome CFS/ME three years ago, which is an immune dysfunction. I have recovered from it since with occasional flareups once a year. My current symptoms do not feel like a flareup. I have heard mesh can aggravate immune disorders.

It has been recommended to remove the mesh if it can be safely done. I was also informed the sooner I get it removed the better my chances of a negative complication from surgery. I heard at 3 months it gets harder to remove.

I am looking to have Kevin Petersen MD remove it via open surgery (incision from belly button to pubic bone) with a tissue hernia repair. My hernias were very small.

I was wondering your thoughts? My whole life has been turned upside down since this surgery. I want the mesh out, but want to know how safe it is.

Thanks,
    Jack

melissara replied 8 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • LosAngeles82

September 6, 2015 at 5:19 am

Mesh Removal

Wow thank you Dr. Towfigh and Dr. Jacob. I will definitely call your office Dr. Shirin first thing when you are open. My life has been total hell since surgery.

• melissara

September 6, 2015 at 5:08 am

Mesh Removal

You definitely should have had imaging. A ctscan with po and iv contrast at the minimum. Drs. chen and towfigh would likely see you sooner than that . Minimally invasive approach is worth waiting for.

• drtowfigh

September 6, 2015 at 5:05 am

Mesh Removal

Please call my office and let them know you reached out via HerniaTalk.

• LosAngeles82

September 6, 2015 at 5:00 am

Mesh Removal

What potential real risks do I face with open surgery… given the mesh is very fresh (6 weeks since implantation) and probably not fully integrated in my body with scar tissue.

No imaging was done or even offered. One of the surgeons felt my my mesh area and determined there was no fluid build up.

I am willing to go to whoever is the best for this surgery in the united states (obviously the closer the better) and can take me in very soon. I am located in Los Angeles. However, getting an appointment with Dr. David Chen or Dr. Shirin Towfigh is a long two month wait. Which I was made aware, at 3 months time, the mesh is harder to remove without complications.

Dr. Kevin C. Petersen of Las Vegas can perform the surgery in two weeks time. Even though it is open surgery and you recommend a minimally invasive approach.

Is it worse to wait two months to see Dr. Chen or Shirin? Kevin Petersen’s phone consult was very good and assuring. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision with the right surgeon. Are there any other surgeon’s you recommend who can perform a minimally invasive removal with a tissue repair (I don’t think I am a good candidate for mesh given my current situation and having CFS/ME).

Thanks for the help. As I am completely new to this.

• melissara

September 6, 2015 at 4:27 am

Mesh Removal

Ok. You’ve earned the right to have the mesh removed, even if not related. But thorough understanding of risks involved is really important. Also complete work up required before proceeding. What imaging was done? Ctscan? Regarding technique, I would suggest having mesh removed with a minimally invasive approach for sure.

• LosAngeles82

September 6, 2015 at 4:21 am

Mesh Removal

Forgot to mention.

I am a 33 year old male.

I also had an abdominal/chest rash (red specks, not itchy or painful), for 2-3 weeks after surgery.

I began taking testosterone as prescribed by my doctor over a week ago. It has only improved my mood and nothing else.

• LosAngeles82

September 6, 2015 at 3:03 am

Mesh Removal

I had appendicitis this last June. I had a laparoscopic appendectomy with an umbilical hernia repair via sutures (very small hernia that was fixed in addition to the emergency appendectomy). After that surgery, my preexisting right inguinal hernia became worse and symptomatic. I could not sit or walk without hernia pain. I had no other systemic symptoms after that surgery and was fine minus the pain.

I returned to the general surgeon who performed my appendectomy. He said the laparoscopic surgery made my hernia worse and so I asked if he could fix them (I had a left and right asymptomatic inguinal hernia since childhood, in addition to the recently fixed umbilical hernia). He suggested I wait six weeks from my appendectomy. He also suggested biologic mesh since I had a recent appendicitis.

Before all of this, I was an active gym rat. I ate a very very healthy diet and had great health.

• melissara

September 6, 2015 at 2:44 am

Mesh Removal

Why did you have your hernias repaired in the first place? (Did you have symptomatic hernias)?
    And why did your surgeon use a biologic mesh? This is not a typical repair so I am curious to what led up to your surgery.