News Feed Discussions Mike M – Pinto – CPK – Why Kang over shouldice?

• Mike M – Pinto – CPK – Why Kang over shouldice?

Posted by Unknown Member on June 1, 2023 at 3:47 am

Hey guys… I am trying to narrow my surgical decision and I think I am down to Dr Conze…and Dr, Kang. Our friend Watchful who may be the most informed expert in the world on hernia surgery leans towards Conze and the Shouldice repair. I remember Mike M posting that he would NEVER do a shouldice…out of concern for the male anatomy. Pinto—you are a great case because you do a ton of research —and you chose Kang a second time after a recurrance. What made you choose Kang over shouldice? I am currently researching Kang’s recurrance rate with a Korean friend. I find it troubling that Kang claims a .05 percent recurrance rate….so recurrances should be hard to find…yet we have a great example of the recurrance right here on this forum. Like I said…we have about 7-10 kang patients here and one recurrance…so the hernia talk recurrance rate…which may be a lot more reliable than a doctors self promoted statistics…is close to 10 percent or greater. I still have kang as a finalist…but just trying to get clarity which i know is very difficult.

pinto replied 9 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • pinto

June 2, 2023 at 5:19 am

None as you described nor any negativity in my opposite side. Not sure exactly how to describe because is not often and has short duration. I should not have mentioned it because some of you try to make too much ado about nothing. If it was burning, I would have said so. If aching, I would said so. If tingling, I would have said so and so on and so on. As I write this and throughout both sides feel perfectly the same–painlessly normal. 🙂

• Watchful

June 2, 2023 at 4:51 am

Now that you’re reporting “some unusual sensation but not pain”, can you elaborate on what that is exactly? Do you mean paresthesias such as numbness, burning, itching, tingling, pricking?

By the way, sensations from damage done in surgery on one side can happen on the other side as well. That’s the case for me. My surgery was on the right side, but abnormal sensations extend to the middle and the left side. This includes both paresthesias and pain in my case. Not severe, fortunately, but enough to be annoying on occasion, particular when a belt or other clothing presses against the area.

• pinto

June 2, 2023 at 12:50 am

Chuck, let’s look what you said:
    1 “…unusual sensation??????”
    What’s with all the question marks? Those express high emotion, in this case negative!!
    2 “that doesnt sound good”they are unsettling”

“Hello, Earth to Chuck, can you read me?” Your statement 2 is a claim. You are claiming my words “unusual sensation” must be negative–in fact you claim they are “unsettling.” I never gave that indication nor implied it. Why not take them positively as a prelude to making wood?

You are on high voltage emotionally. Apparently you cannot interpret words, language as they are normally made because of your state of mind. The word “sensation” is neutral. Often it is used positively as for pleasure: “A sensation is a physical feeling. Floating can be a very pleasant sensation. Synonyms: feeling, sense, impression, perception ….” (Collins).

However it is to be interpreted I gave no indication positively or negatively about it. I said I had no pain. And most often–most often–it’s the same as the other side. You prefaced your remarks that tissue repair requires long time healing. Then why do you call 911 about my painless unusual sensations? Before the fire trucks come, you ought to call ’em and tell ’em false alarm.

I’m trying to help you but it’s counter-productive because you twist my words such that someone who only reads your twisted concoction will draw the wrong conclusion about my surgeon.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  pinto.
  • Unknown Member

June 1, 2023 at 8:14 pm

i have not made a single false claim….you had a very long discussion that got heated at time with the kang folks….you were not happy…i am glad it ultimately worked out…but you were not happy at the time…i get it. i simply asked why you chose kang over shouldice…i keep reading over and over that shouldice is strong….but you will feel it forever as tightness….so i am trying to see if folks have the same issue with kang….you said of course you have unusual sensations….how is that a good thing???? why would i want that? i want to feel normal…like Mark T feels…tissue repairs are tricky…watchful the smartest poster on the board got screwed…and i see shouoldice complainers all over the net….my mesh docs all said shouldice patients get chronic pain..and they had seen them….so i have been focused on kang…mike ms report is mostly good….but many tell me that flat mesh might be the most durable …with the least pain…your of course unusual senastions didnt give me a warm fuzsy

• pinto

June 1, 2023 at 7:15 pm

Chuck, you’re being ridiculous, twisting my words to suit some sort of stratagem. Listen I’m gonna tell ya straight—No one on earth can find a 100% guarantee—whether buying bonds, wooing a love interest, or walking into the street. The same applies to you or anyone about surgery. I told you my experience has been painless. I have no issues about my latest repair. Regardless no one can say anything to you that will fully satisfy you. Even if ironclad you will somehow dream up some kind of kink. But whatever please don’t make false claims about me or those I have supported.

• Unknown Member

June 1, 2023 at 6:53 pm

of course unusual sensation?????? that doesnt sound good…Pinto…i respect you and appreciate your contributions to the page….but tissue repairs are reknooned for taking a long time to heal…part of the reason i went lap….but unusual sensations are unsettling….can you clarify? And the of course is unsettling too….are just expected to have problems from any hernia surgery selected??? maybe that true…but Mark T claims nothing. and all my friends with lichtenstien…62 in all i questioned very closely….they said nothing nothing nothing—as if nothing happened. It sounds like your kang repair…you can tell something happened….not pain per se….but something not good???

• pinto

June 1, 2023 at 5:45 pm

Whoa, whoa 😀 😀 I just saw your closing comment, Chuck:
    “Second I simply dont believe only pain for a week…I have never heard anyone who had a tissue repair say all their pain was gone in one week,,,that is simply not feasible…I wish folks would endeavor to be more honest here.”

Excuse me I have to laugh 😀 😀 . What I said is true I had and have no pain. Of course there can be some unusual sensation but it’s not pain. And most often both sides of my pelvis feel equivalent in feeling or condition.

• pinto

June 1, 2023 at 5:24 pm

Chuck, here again when doing critique we need to be accurate—-make sure you know what you are talking about. You claim I’m not being “entirely honest.” Your assertion is false and attributable probably to not reading all I wrote or possibly misinterpreting something.

Yes I had some friction with the “hospital” but was resolved in my favor. The friction did not change my “great hospital experience,” as it referred to my time inside the hospital. If you had read all my posts, you would know the friction was due to the frailty of human communication. Such happens. The wonderful thing is that such can be solved.

True, and I still live by my words, I experienced much frustration, justifiably so. However to the credit of both Stephen and Dr. Kang we eventually could see how email is not the best means of communication. Again, I repeat: no doctor in the world is perfect. Dr. Kang gave me a sincere apology to my face. Would your California doc or your Maryland doc do that? 😀 Responsibility is the true mark of a man. I repeat something else: more than any statistics or anything else is trust. I trust Kang.

• Unknown Member

June 1, 2023 at 7:07 am

Pinto thanks so much….but i know you are not being entirely honest…you were quite upset after your first recurrance…and there were a number of threads on this forum where that was shown. You were even going off on Stephen to some extent…Second I simply dont believe only pain for a week…I have never heard anyone who had a tissue repair say all their pain was gone in one week,,,that is simply not feasible…I wish folks would endeavor to be more honest here.

• pinto

June 1, 2023 at 6:06 am

Chuck, get ready coz I’m gonna screw up your statistics. You apparently overlook a very important difference between Kang and the other docs, which in effect skews the data—patient intake. Kang virtually takes any patient in need but not the other docs, surely not Shouldice. If true, Kang’s open policy disadvantages him against the other docs. If he were like them, he might even have a lower recurrence rate than it is.
    Why did I go back to Kang? First I had a great hospital experience and very importantly I wasn’t maimed. If the doc is expert, then it makes sense to go back because the doc would be familiar with my condition and anatomy. Finally, he convinced me that despite the previous problem he was sure he could successfully repair it while showing me his data, as well as that for similar cases. Both times I have not had any pain beyond the first week. Probably thousands of patients wish they could swap their experience with mine.
    Good luck with your planning. I know it’s not easy. I’ll be rooting for ya.