News Feed Discussions Muscle tore away from Mesh

• Muscle tore away from Mesh

Posted by Luissb on August 18, 2015 at 10:14 pm

I live in Santa Barbara CA and I had bilateral hernia surgery in 3/2013 repaired laproscopically with implanted mesh. Everything was going great up until 5/1/15. I was lifting weights and after the workout was over I went home and felt that my lower abdomen was heavy and felt some of the same symptoms that I had when I first got my hernias. I went to see my original surgeon and he told me that the hernias didn’t come back but that the muscles on top of the mesh tore away from it! Ouch! Is this a common thing?
    Originally the pain on the right side was worse and then about a month ago the left side has gotten worse where as the right side has gotten a little better. I stopped exercising with fear of causing more damage. I saw my surgeon again 3 weeks ago because the pain in the left side got worse and he told me that the hernia repair is still in tact and most likely the left side is due to a sports hernia.
    I really trust my surgeon because he was the one who immediately diagnosed me with bilateral hernias after being misdiagnosed with other conditions from other Dr’s for almost a year!
    When I lean forward I can see the front of my pelvis almost look bloated. I don’t feel any heaviness in my testicles as with my original injury but I do feel some pain in the top of my left testicle and pain in my lower left back as well. I do feel discomfort especially when standing or sitting for too long. I also feel pain in my lower left abdomen that radiates into my groin. I also feel a knot on the left area on my pelvis around the hip crease area when I lean to the left which causes pain.
    I asked my surgeon if anything could be done to fix this i.e. PT but he said it prob wouldn’t help and only thing is rest and wait until it heals. Well its been 3 1/2 months since the injury and don’t see too much improvement. Any suggestions? recommendations? thanks in advance.

Chaunce1234 replied 8 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • drtowfigh

August 22, 2015 at 6:23 am

Muscle tore away from Mesh

Dynamic Imaging such as MRI pelvis with vslsalva will help determine if you have a recurrence. Your symptoms are similar to that noted from inguinal hernias.

• Chaunce1234

August 19, 2015 at 12:19 am

Very uncommon after lap hernia repair. The steroids however are more potent than NSAIDs. Good luck!

• Luissb

August 18, 2015 at 10:48 pm

Thanks Doc. Hopefully this will help since I have been taking NSAIDS for the last 3 months with not much success. I will try this. Is this a common injury after laproscopic mesh surgery?

• Chaunce1234

August 18, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Ask your surgeon if a trial of antiinflammatory therapy is appropriate. I use a Medrol DosePak for a week, followed by 3 weeks of narposyn. Use myoflex cream topically, and use ice/heat 2-4 times per day. Ice/heat based on trial and error. Of course, limited physical activity during the month long course if therapy. Further treatment depends on response after a month. Hope this helps!