News Feed Discussions My post surgery experience journal

• My post surgery experience journal

Posted by LF on July 1, 2020 at 5:12 pm

Hi all,

I’ve been a lurker here for the past few days when preparing for bilateral open hernia repair. I’m an 18 yr old (skinny) male and so the use of mesh was discussed. The problem was the hernia on my left was recurrent from a repair I had when I was around 10. What ended up happening before surgery is my surgeon decided to investigate and then decide whether or not to use mesh since it depends heavily on how the muscle tissue looks. Well, after the surgery I found out he did not use mesh on both sides since things looked good and the procedure was easy. Although I don’t wan’t a recurrence, I’d prefer it over some weird mesh complication.

Importantly, my surgeon was a pediatric surgeon meaning he is much more experienced in performing non-mesh repairs.

The purpose of this post is a journal of my recovery starting today.

So today I had surgery, arrived at noon and was in the OR at 1:30. I was out of the hospital at 4:15. I had some difficulty peeing but eventually got some out. I’m in a bit of pain right now, mainly on the right side especially when getting out of chairs and beds. Its pretty painful to walk so trying to limit that for now. (hopefully can walk more tomorrow).

I hope to update this frequently at first and maybe monthly later on.

LF replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • LF

July 2, 2020 at 5:37 pm

Day 1: Yesterday was surgery. I didn’t sleep well at all last night. First the pain near the incisions and then back pain from trying to sleep on my back. Today was not fun. I walked as much as I could around the house but the pain was pretty bad. The hardest part was getting up from seated and lying positions. I felt really bloated at times. I took a shower. I hope tomorrow is less painful and I can get some better sleep.

• LF

July 2, 2020 at 7:06 am

Oh haha, excuse my poor knowledge, I thought muscle tissue and fascia are like the same thing. He didn’t really say muscle or fascia, he said something along the lines of “surrounding area” which I assumed meant muscle tissue.

• Alephy

July 2, 2020 at 6:54 am

Your surgeon mentioned that whether to use mesh or not would depend on the quality of the muscle tissues; I would have thought for an inguinal hernia the fascia layer played a more important role (at least for a direct one?), but for an indirect one maybe the muscle tissue is more key (I am no doctor, take this as questions to the experts:)

• LF

July 2, 2020 at 6:44 am

Correct, both were indirect dropping to the scrotum. Yes, I was placed under general anesthesia as with most pediatric cases. I am unsure of the mesh to have been used. I’m fairly sure the surgeon performed a high ligation…I’m not sure what you meant with your last comment.

• Alephy

July 1, 2020 at 10:20 pm

Hi I am wondering, were both indirect hernias? So you had general anesthesia?
    Which mesh he would have used in case? As for the tissue quality I would have thought the fascia was more important 🤔