News Feed Discussions Need help – Suspect to have hernia

• Need help – Suspect to have hernia

Posted by Sdahe on July 11, 2018 at 12:55 am

Hello,
    I’ve bee having disconfort in my right lower abdomen.. right next to my penis and sometimes it goes all the way to my groing muscles and hip. Went to the ER and they did a CT scan but didn’t find anything. Went back to my doctor and he send me to a ultrasound. The ultrasound came negative for hernia, nothing in bladder and prostate was good.. no mass either. The thing is I still have disconfort and very mild pain. When I touch in that area I can feel a small bump when I cough and the area feels a bit tender. At first my doctor said it could be a muscle strain or pull in my groin but I feel its something else. Sometimes I feel the disconfort going to my right thigh. My last resort is to see a hernia surgen and hope I can finally figure out whats going on. This is getting a bit frustrating

Sdahe replied 5 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Sdahe

July 12, 2018 at 11:30 pm
    quote Chaunce1234:

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? And are you athletic? Overweight or physically fit? Was there any event that occurred with the onset of pain?

Was your ultrasound specifically looking for a groin hernia? It should be scanning the inguinal region / inguinal and femoral canal. It should also have you perform a “valsava maneuver” (basically you bearing down as if you were trying hard to defecate) as that can basically push the hernia through a hole and make it easier to see on an ultrasound. Typically this is with a dynamic ultrasound, meaning a little video is captured of any movement in the region. You need to make sure you had a groin ultrasound with valsava specifically looking for hernias, if you did not have the valsava maneuver it is less likely to be effective, sometimes patients are told to stand up during this process too because gravity can help as well.

Rarely, an MRI with valsava is necessary to show a small hernia. Dr Towfigh (who runs these forums) has done research on that topic.

Anyway, if you are athletic, it is possible you have a groin strain or pull, or even something like a “sports hernia” which is sort of an all-encompassing term that includes a variety of groin conditions that usually feature; a torn or detached muscle or tendon in the groin / pubic area, always with pain. More appropriate terms for these conditions include; athletic pubalgia, inguinal disruption, osteitis pubis, adductor tears or strains, etc.

It certainly wouldn’t be a bad idea to see an expert hernia surgeon who is able to accurately diagnose a groin hernia. Smaller hernias can be notoriously difficult to diagnose and many primary care doctors and even surgeons are not aware of them, let alone how to diagnose or find them. If you’d like to share your general location perhaps you are located near an expert hernia surgeon.

Good luck and keep us updated on your case.

Hello.. ok…

1. Im 44 years old
    2. No, Im not athletic..
    3. I guess Im overweight because I’m 6′ 3″ and weight 239 pounds
    4. The only change in my life is that I move to a new apartment that is in the third floor so I’ve been going up and down the stairs for a while.. hahaha.
    5. I guess the ultrasound was a regular one but they were looking for hernias or any mass. They didn’t do the valsava maneuver. They did focus the Ultrasound to the affected area in the groin and all the abdomen. They checked the prostate and the bladder too too make sure everything else is ok.

• Chaunce1234

July 12, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? And are you athletic? Overweight or physically fit? Was there any event that occurred with the onset of pain?

Was your ultrasound specifically looking for a groin hernia? It should be scanning the inguinal region / inguinal and femoral canal. It should also have you perform a “valsava maneuver” (basically you bearing down as if you were trying hard to defecate) as that can basically push the hernia through a hole and make it easier to see on an ultrasound. Typically this is with a dynamic ultrasound, meaning a little video is captured of any movement in the region. You need to make sure you had a groin ultrasound with valsava specifically looking for hernias, if you did not have the valsava maneuver it is less likely to be effective, sometimes patients are told to stand up during this process too because gravity can help as well.

Rarely, an MRI with valsava is necessary to show a small hernia. Dr Towfigh (who runs these forums) has done research on that topic.

Anyway, if you are athletic, it is possible you have a groin strain or pull, or even something like a “sports hernia” which is sort of an all-encompassing term that includes a variety of groin conditions that usually feature; a torn or detached muscle or tendon in the groin / pubic area, always with pain. More appropriate terms for these conditions include; athletic pubalgia, inguinal disruption, osteitis pubis, adductor tears or strains, etc.

It certainly wouldn’t be a bad idea to see an expert hernia surgeon who is able to accurately diagnose a groin hernia. Smaller hernias can be notoriously difficult to diagnose and many primary care doctors and even surgeons are not aware of them, let alone how to diagnose or find them. If you’d like to share your general location perhaps you are located near an expert hernia surgeon.

Good luck and keep us updated on your case.

• Sdahe

July 11, 2018 at 11:00 pm
    quote dog:

Yep.I had a similar ..I think it when hernia just happen and small

How did you finally found out it was a small hernia?…

• dog

July 11, 2018 at 10:38 pm

Yep.I had a similar ..I think it when hernia just happen and small