Nerve damage: which inguinal hernia repairs?

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion Nerve damage: which inguinal hernia repairs?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Alephy
      Participant

I was wondering, which are the inguinal hernia repairs more at risk of nerve damage? Is it known?
      and which are the least problematic?

what about the simple stiching ones often reserved for special cases eg small hernias?

Jerome
      Participant

Open has more direct exposure to nerves. Can be both for mesh and without mesh. Depends on the surgeon skill. Lap has more indirect exposure to nerves. If your young and active I’d go mesh free pure tissue. Find a surgeon that will tailor your repair based on your anatomy.

dog
      quote jerome848:

Open has more direct exposure to nerves. Can be both for mesh and without mesh. Depends on the surgeon skill. Lap has more indirect exposure to nerves. If your young and active I’d go mesh free pure tissue. Find a surgeon that will tailor your repair based on your anatomy.

Really? Because it is open? in my best knowledge Nop open has less risk,because it is much easy to see everything..To injure nerves would be considered negligence ,but without mesh it is almost impossible

DrBrown
      Participant

@alephy
      The open pure tissue repair has the least risk for nerve damage.
      The nerves can be visualized and protected.
      Regards.
      Bill Brown MD

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar