News Feed Discussions Nerve Entrapment?

• Nerve Entrapment?

Posted by marcello71 on January 9, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Recently I’ve been experiencing a definite pulling on my right leg as if I can’t extend/straighten it completely. This has progressed to burning pinching pains down the front of the right thigh into my knee as well as Charlie horse pains in the back of my right leg muscles(thigh, calf, buttocks) & cold feeling pains on the bottom of my right foot near my toes making walking very difficult at times. It’s terrifying how sudden this can happen & it hasn’t stopped since it began to varying degrees.

My question is, are these indications of nerve entrapment?

And can neurolysis still be performed on lap placed inguinal mesh nerves(genitofemoral/lateral fem cutaneous) during removal to free the mesh once this is the case or is neurectomy now the only option?

marcello71 replied 7 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Beenthere

January 23, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Nerve Entrapment?

This sound close to what I had and turned out to be a femoral hernia that went diagnosed by seven different quote experts over two years. Good luck

• marcello71

January 10, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Nerve Entrapment?

I should’ve mentioned it all began after a shift occurred where the mesh is(checked by physician & is not a hernia) that gave way to a broken glass type pain in my right pelvic region near my hip. It feels as though something is tethered or pinched & the pain shoots down my thigh from my pelvic region. I’m not trying to connect the two, just saying thats when it began.

So no nerves on the bottom of the foot connect to or branch from nerves in the area of the pelvis where lap placed mesh is..?

Thank you, its relieving to know that hopefully my nerves may still be salvageable then.

• drtowfigh

January 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Nerve Entrapment?

This pain and your symptoms do not sound to be related to groin/hernia-related nerve entrapment or neurectomy. In general, anything below the knee is not hernia/hernia nerve-related.

Once mesh is over a nerve, removal of the mesh may damage the underlying nerve. Even with a microscope, it is difficult to judge whether there has been permanent damage (and therefore pain) or recoverable injury to the nerve (in which case neurolysis can help.). Thus, most of us perform neurectomy and do not take the chance at the former.