News Feed Discussions Neurectomy patient after Gilmore groin op…. suffering!

• Neurectomy patient after Gilmore groin op…. suffering!

Posted by Honeysuckle on May 3, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Hello,
    I am looking for some advice on anybody who has had a neurectomy.
    I suffered from a sports hernia in 2010 which was operated on. I’m a female in my 20s so this was rare. Ever since, I have had severe neuropathic pain which spread into my abdomen, hip, back, leg and foot. Over the last 7 years I have received many treatments i.e.) nerve blocks, lidocaine infusions, capsican patches… no luck. I can say that operation was the worst decision of my life as the nerves were damaged in the operation.
    In Feb 2017, I met with a peripheral nerve injury team who decided to do exploratory surgery. They found the inguinal nerve badly damaged, caught in scar tissue with a large nerve branch forming. Therefore it was removed and the endings buried into muscle.
    Since the operation, 10 weeks ago, I am having good/bad days. The bad days are hellacious and my pain is worse than before in the areas I described above. I’ve been told this could happen for upto 6 months but on bad days I am convinced it has not worked. I am back at work but struggling to cope with my pain 🙁
    ​​
    does anybody have any experience or advice?
    shouid I have had a triple neurectomy as maybe the other nerves are involved?
    many thanks, I would appreciate any advice!

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • drtowfigh

June 2, 2017 at 5:45 am

Those are all excellent plans. Anything below the knee should be worked up at the level of the spine

• Honeysuckle

May 29, 2017 at 8:10 am

Hello, thank you for your replies. I do live in the U.K.

I had the Gilmore groin tear sewn with stitches and mesh used. Sometimes I think that contributes to my pain as like you said, the nerves only going the knee. I always wonder why I have pins and needles a lot in my left foot.

Im 3 months post op now and noticing no difference. On days the pain is worse. I have nerve pain near the scar and inner legs, burning in my hip and spine and pain all down my left leg. The skin is also hyper sensitive.

I had an MRI on my back years ago but that was it. Do you think this is worth exploring? I’m also thinking of going to the Gilmore groin clinic in London.

Im due a lidocaine infusion on 9th June then back to the London hospital on 13th June for a 4 month check up. So will be interesting to see what they say.

• drtowfigh

May 27, 2017 at 3:34 pm

So sorry about your pain.

What type of hernia repair did you have, exactly?

Also, the nerves associated with the groin do not inner age the back of the leg or the foot, or anything below the knee. Neurectomy therefore will also not help that pain.

have you. Had your spine carefully evaluated for the pain?

• Chaunce1234

May 18, 2017 at 11:18 pm

I am sorry you are going through this. Groin pain is very unpleasant as any sufferer knows.

How are you doing now? Any update on your case? I assume you are located in UK if you had a Gilmore procedure?